issue with result of service area

10-12-2017 05:41 AM
ParisaBozorgi2
New Contributor II

I am using network analyst extension to create service areas of 10, 20, 40 minutes for my facilities. all facilities are located on the network. I get the service area of 10, 20, 40 minutes for all facilities except one. I don't know why one location has only a service area of 0.4 min. 

any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are getting a small service area for one location than most likely it is located on an edge that is either restricted to travel on or disconnected from the network for some other reason.

What network dataset are you using? You may want to examine the connectivity of the edge with the network identify tool on the NA toolbar. 

Or, if you are using ArcMap, you can bring up the service area layer properties and on the Network Location tab, at the bottom left, check on the "Exclude restricted portions of the network" and then in the NA window, right-click on the Facilities and choose "Recalculate Location Fields". And then solve again. If the location was on a restricted edge, it will get moved to a nearby un-restricted edge and you may get a better service area.

Jay Sandhu

ParisaBozorgi2
New Contributor II

Thanks, Jay for your reply. I am using 2013 ESRI network dataset and performing service area using ArcGIS 10.4. I just tried your solution and checked "Exclude restricted portions of the network" but still get the same result. nothing changed. I attached the screenshot of that location.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Did you relocate the facilities after checking on the Exclude restricted portion of the network?

Also, have you tried using the Network identify tool to see if the edges there are connected to rest of the network.

One other thing you can do is to turn on the service area lines. That is, on the service area layer properties, click on the Line Generation tab and turn on the generate lines option. Re-solve. The returned lines should tell you where they do not connect to rest of the network. (There may be restriction that is on for causing the disconnect).

Jay Sandhu 

ParisaBozorgi2
New Contributor II

Yes I followed all steps. I used identity tool to examine the edge connectivity. some edges are prohibited. What should i do in this case? 

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Since these streets appear to be restricted for cars, you have to think what is the logical thing for the type of analysis you are doing. So, you can:

accept the results, or

turn off these restrictions in the service area Analysis settings (it will impact the analysis for all facilities), or

move the location to the nearby main road and re-solve.

Jay Sandhu

ParisaBozorgi2
New Contributor II

It finally worked! The problem was related to recalculating the locations. I found it didn't actually recalculate. So I just reloaded locations and it worked!

I greatly appreciate your help.