How to create a network buffer around a polyline feature?

08-23-2016 12:29 PM
Highlighted
New Contributor III

I'm trying to create a travel distance buffer around a freeway segment using time or distance on a network?  I'm using ArcMap 10.3.1. Is this even possible?  In Network Analyst the only thing I can seem to do is add point features to create service areas.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Frequent Contributor

That's what NA is about, not so. As long as you have a network to analyse of course (often the most difficult bit).

That's an allocation problem.

What is Network analyst

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Frequent Contributor

Can you draw a picture of what you are trying to achieve?  It may be possible to do this with Network Analysis, but I'm not entirely clear on what you are trying to accomplish.

For example, is the freeway segment being treated as a linear "starting point" and you want to find the maximum distance one could travel away from any part of that segment in a set amount of time?  If so, one approach would be derive points from all intersections of the "starting point segment" and roads contacting it, then run a Service Area for each point, then combine them.  This could be set up in Modelbuilder using an Iterator or programmed in Python to automatically run all the possibilities and then combine them into the result.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos