How do you udate road features of a network dataset with a custom gp tool?

10-17-2013 07:55 AM
AndrewWoizesko
New Contributor II
I wrote a script that updates impedance values in my road feature class. Once I update values, I want to utilize this feature class in my network dataset. The problem is that feature classes participating in a network dataset are locked so I can delete and replace the old feature class with the new one. I'm looking for solutions or ideas to try.

Thanks,

Andrew
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CathleenAlmberg
New Contributor
Andrew is the feature class locked because it is being used by...

1. multiple users,
2. a ArcGIS server service
3. a random Arcmap.exe lock in Task Manager?

if 1, you can break connections as Administrator in SDE / Administration / Locks & Connections & Privileges

if 2, stop the service in ArcCatalog / ArcGIS Server connection

if 3, open Task Manager, find the random Arcmap.exe (or Arc-whatever) and end the process.

Now let me ask you a question. I'm looking for a source of impedance values based upon road classifications, ie
'LOCAL' 'LOCAL UNPAVED' 'MAJOR ARTERIAL' 'MAJOR COLLECTOR' 'MINOR ARTERIAL' 'MINOR COLLECTOR' 'PRINCIPAL ARTERIAL'

it sounds like you've come up with these values. Would you share? Thanks if you can, any help is appreciated.

calmberg@palmcoastgov.com
0 Kudos
CFrate
by
Occasional Contributor

Andrew - Did you ever figure this out? I have a similar issue trying to automate the update of roads that participate in a network dataset. It seems to be the network itself that locks the feature class.

0 Kudos