dist. along rds for each point to all other points in single layer (OD cost matrix)

Jump to solution
05-01-2013 01:50 PM
DavidMedeiros
Occasional Contributor III
I have a single point file of hospital locations in CA, and the ESRI major roads layer for CA. I need to calculate the distance in miles between each hospital and every other hospital in the point file.

I have added both the points and the roads to a simple network data set. I created an OD cost matrix and added the input points as both the Origins and the Destinations and tried to solve.

The result is one short 'line' for each input point, basically single distance of zero miles since the tool seems to only be reading the nearest origin and destination pair.

How do I setup the OD cost matrix to give me distances between all of my points along the road network?

Thanks,
David
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor
Hello!

I believe your problem is that you added the hospital locations as part of your network.  Remove those points as a network source and try again.

The network is meant to be features of the roads, like streets, intersections, and transition points.  Since you added the hospital points to your network, you had disconnected junctions away from the streets.  Then, when you tried to do analysis again using the the hospital points, they located on the disconnected junctions and travel along the streets was not possible.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor
Hello!

I believe your problem is that you added the hospital locations as part of your network.  Remove those points as a network source and try again.

The network is meant to be features of the roads, like streets, intersections, and transition points.  Since you added the hospital points to your network, you had disconnected junctions away from the streets.  Then, when you tried to do analysis again using the the hospital points, they located on the disconnected junctions and travel along the streets was not possible.
0 Kudos
DavidMedeiros
Occasional Contributor III
That was it, thank you!

I assumed the network consisted of all the objects participating in the network analysis. No I just need to go back and tweak some of the settings but this works!
0 Kudos