Create a bike route network

Jump to solution
04-20-2012 09:52 AM
AlexandraAndrei
New Contributor II
Hi all,

I am working with Parcels of a city and their allocated use codes, which represent my interest points and based on these I would like to create a bike route network over an existing street network dataset that I have. I want to be able to allocate it a particular spacing and to make it dependent on thos euse codes. What steps do I need to take in order to make this a reality?
Keep in mind that the use codes are not point shapefiles, they are just part of the parcel shapefile. I do not know how to make them pointshapefile.

Thank you!
Alexandra
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexandraAndrei
New Contributor II
Hi Jay,

I am sorry I did not explain myself very well, but after much trial and error, I found out how to make this bike route so that it includes particular starting points (which would be the use codes of interest I was talking about in my first post) and a particular destination.
I would like to share on this forum the steps that I used.
I selected by attribute all the use codes that I was interested in and make them centroid. Then I used the function "Make Closest Facility" from Network Analyst to generate my route in relation to a road network dataset I made previously.
Some parameters would need to be played with, such as the number of facilities that can be reached and the maximum distance to the furthest facility. After the closest facility is introduced into GIS the tricky part was how to introduce all these use codes into my route. First you have to activate the Network analyst panel. The all I had to do was to right click on the facilities and "Load Locations" that is when I put in the centroid layer I spoke of earlier. Afterwards, I selected my "Incident" which was my destination and then hit calculate.

This link helped: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Closest_facility_analysis/00470000004n...

Hope this would be helpful for anyone else that wants to do something similar.

Best regards,
Alexandra

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve. Can you explain more on what you need to do?
Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
It sounds like you need to convert your parcel polygons into points and then use them for setting up bike paths. If that is goal, then you can use the GP tool Feature To Point to convert polygons to points. More information here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00170000003m000000

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
AlexandraAndrei
New Contributor II
Hi Jay,

Thanks for replying. I did manage to made parcel centroid, but I am not sure what is the next step. I have tried "Make Location Allocation" (but I disregards my street network and drew straight lines between points and I had to allocate my points manualy), "Make Clossest Facility Layer" (it worked in as much as I had to place my facilities manualy and with 513 records you can imagine my manual method is a bit unreliable, I did not place all the 513 stops (I estimated), the same applies to "Make Route Layer" (where I allocated manualy my stops).

Do you know a method that allows the user to introduce the facilities as a point layer?

Thank you.
Regards,
Alexandra

It sounds like you need to convert your parcel polygons into points and then use them for setting up bike paths. If that is goal, then you can use the GP tool Feature To Point to convert polygons to points. More information here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00170000003m000000

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve. Can you explain more on what you need to do?
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
AlexandraAndrei
New Contributor II
Hi Jay,

I am sorry I did not explain myself very well, but after much trial and error, I found out how to make this bike route so that it includes particular starting points (which would be the use codes of interest I was talking about in my first post) and a particular destination.
I would like to share on this forum the steps that I used.
I selected by attribute all the use codes that I was interested in and make them centroid. Then I used the function "Make Closest Facility" from Network Analyst to generate my route in relation to a road network dataset I made previously.
Some parameters would need to be played with, such as the number of facilities that can be reached and the maximum distance to the furthest facility. After the closest facility is introduced into GIS the tricky part was how to introduce all these use codes into my route. First you have to activate the Network analyst panel. The all I had to do was to right click on the facilities and "Load Locations" that is when I put in the centroid layer I spoke of earlier. Afterwards, I selected my "Incident" which was my destination and then hit calculate.

This link helped: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Closest_facility_analysis/00470000004n...

Hope this would be helpful for anyone else that wants to do something similar.

Best regards,
Alexandra

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
JoshuaCrough
New Contributor III
Hmmm, very useful for me! I am looking at doing the same thing shortly. I would be really interested to hear/see how it goes!
0 Kudos
AlexandraAndrei
New Contributor II
Hi,

You should use the link I provided to set your route and if your working with a multitude of facilities, right click on the "facilities" panel and "Load Locations" where you would load the centroid file.

And that's it!

Hope that file on how to make centroid instructions helps.

Regards,
Alexandra

that you want to
Hmmm, very useful for me! I am looking at doing the same thing shortly. I would be really interested to hear/see how it goes!
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Glad to know you have figured it out! In general, its a good idea to go through the Network Analyst tutorials to get to know the different capabilities that are present. More info here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/About_the_ArcGIS_Network_Analyst_tutor...
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos