Can't add time impedance to network travel mode

Jump to solution
12-14-2022 08:33 AM
JS_NCGIS
New Contributor II

How do I add time as a cost in a network travel mode?

When I try to create a Vehicle Routing Problem Layer, I get an error saying my network dataset doesn't have a time impedance value. But when I try to add it in the Travel Mode dialog box it isn't an option and I can't add it as a cost in the costs tab. My road network has maxspeed, TF_Minutes, FT_Minutes fields. 

JS_NCGIS_1-1671035515606.png

JS_NCGIS_0-1671035260137.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

The New option may be grayed out because the network dataset is in use. Perhaps you have a route analysis layer in the same Pro session. Or it could be in a read only place.

I suggest closing all Pro sessions, and starting a new Pro project, then navigate to the network dataset in the catalog pane and trying adding the cost attribute again.

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

You probably first need to add a new cost attribute called TravelTime and have it load from the FT and TF_Minutes field. Then you can add this cost attribute to a travel mode. And make sure to build the network dataset after you add a new cost attribute.

I suggest you look at the steps in the Add Cost section of this tutorial:

Create a network dataset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Jay Sandhu 

0 Kudos
JS_NCGIS
New Contributor II

Thanks Jay,

I tried adding Time as a cost but the "New" cost option is greyed out. What do I need to do to be able to make the "New" option available?

JS_NCGIS_0-1671037945457.png

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

The New option may be grayed out because the network dataset is in use. Perhaps you have a route analysis layer in the same Pro session. Or it could be in a read only place.

I suggest closing all Pro sessions, and starting a new Pro project, then navigate to the network dataset in the catalog pane and trying adding the cost attribute again.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
JS_NCGIS
New Contributor II

That was the issue. Creating a new map that didn't have the network dataset in the contents pane (and closing the map that did) caused the "New" option to become available and I was able to create a new cost for time.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos