Build network dataset failed

06-24-2013 09:47 AM
FrankOgiamien
New Contributor II
My road network was previously in Shapefile format and the editing/building of the network used to work fine.   I have now converted it to a featureclass in a file geoDB.   I was able to create the Network dataset using these features, however when I need to edit the data, such as adding a new road, or fixing a broken road segment I am unable to rebuild the network.   I get the error "Build network dataset failed.  The logical network is of an older version and does not support the requested functionality.

Is there no longer a need to rebuild a network after editing in .gdb format?

Thanks for any comments or assistance you can provide,

Frank
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Were you able to investigate it more and find the build log files? 

0 Kudos
nataliemartinkus1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jay,

I was not able to find the build log files.  I re-ran the "build" yesterday and still could not find any files in any Temp location that were connected to the "build network" operation, including in the AppData/Temp folder.  I ended up exporting the networked road feature class to a new geodatabase, and am in the process of removing chunks of roads that are not important in my analysis to make a smaller networked road dataset so it should hopefully build correctly.  The weird thing is I have used the networked road dataset in question a lot over the years.  I recently updated a few columns of data so I needed to re-run the build command.  I cleared out my Trash bin and tried running the Build command with only ArcCatalog open, so no other programs were sucking memory from the computer, and it still didnt work. 

thanks,

natalie

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

What error do you get during build network?

One thing you can check if your "edits" caused a lot of dirty areas to have been created. You can add the network dataset to ArcMap and then in the Table of Contents, right-click to bring up the properties and in the Symbology tab, turn on dirty areas. If their are a lot of dirty areas then they could be causing long build times. To get around that you can either delete the network dataset and re-create/build it or make an edit that causes a full rebuild like adding a new cost attribute to the network dataset and then deleting it.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
nataliemartinkus1
Occasional Contributor

I deleted the network dataset and rebuilt it, and that fixed the problem.  Thank you for your suggestions and follow up.  I always appreciate it.

Natalie

FrankOgiamien
New Contributor II
Hey that fixed my problem!  Thanks very much!
Frank