Can I give a route map as a kml file to Navigator?

Jump to solution
01-16-2016 04:44 AM
GöktuğMert
New Contributor

I have some kml files created with Google Earth. Can I run Navigator with these files?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

For now the possibilities are still limited and coverage of the maps are only available for Europe and North America: Navigator Map coverage—StreetMap Premium for ArcGIS | ArcGIS for Server

Reading the FAQ for Navigator (FAQs—Navigate | ArcGIS ), I notice that you can not use your own network at this time to generate the routes.

Please note that Navigator is an App that is still in development and I suspect that it will evolve more to integrate better with the rest of the platform, like with Workforce. In Workforce (now in beta) at this moment you cannot order the assigned work based on VRP. I can imagine that at a later stage this will be considered.

So the answer (for now) is no, you cannot import KML file in Navigator.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

From this page... Navigator for ArcGIS | ArcGIS I am not sure where you got the idea that you can import kml or kmz files at all.  I must be missing something.

0 Kudos
GöktuğMert
New Contributor

I have routes as kml files, and I must provide navigation for these routes. That's why, I've asked this question. I didn't ask "How can I import kml files?", I've asked "Can I import kml files?".

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So we are on the same page...they give no clue on the documentation page that you can import them.  You can make your own routes, but you already have them pre-made.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

For now the possibilities are still limited and coverage of the maps are only available for Europe and North America: Navigator Map coverage—StreetMap Premium for ArcGIS | ArcGIS for Server

Reading the FAQ for Navigator (FAQs—Navigate | ArcGIS ), I notice that you can not use your own network at this time to generate the routes.

Please note that Navigator is an App that is still in development and I suspect that it will evolve more to integrate better with the rest of the platform, like with Workforce. In Workforce (now in beta) at this moment you cannot order the assigned work based on VRP. I can imagine that at a later stage this will be considered.

So the answer (for now) is no, you cannot import KML file in Navigator.

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Göktuğ,

Navigator does not support KML, but there are plans to support "Pre-Planned Routes" in a future release.  Currently you can use an app link  Create an app link—Navigate | ArcGIS   to send route stops to Navigator in a defined order.  A route is calculated based on the provided stops.   We are working to provide a similar solution for pre-planned routes...  Send the precise driving directions (lines to follow) for a street sweeper, school bus etc..

If interested you can send your specific scenario to navigator4arcgis@esri.com (navigator feedback) it may help the Apps team meet the needs of your use case with Navigator, as this new functionality is developed.

Thanks
Mark

XanderBakker

Thanx Mark! ... just send an email describing a specific use case from a client.

0 Kudos