Select to view content in your preferred language

Does Monitor have an Offline Setting or Configuration? (Poor or lack of internet areas)

Jump to solution
04-18-2023 07:13 AM
GIS_Fox
Regular Contributor

Hi all,

I work in an area with sporadically poor to moderate at best internet for our organization. For the most part we have solid connection but can get days or even weeks with slow speeds or intermittent loss of internet connection; and we have been planning on using ArcGIS Monitor for some time. Prior to install, I was curious if Monitor can work during periods of downtime or disruption and if any extra configuration would be needed to accommodate such instances? 

I'm aware webhooks can be used to send emails when log or service thresholds are reached but during these common downtimes we experience, these would presumably be adversely affected which leads to the last part of my post. Does monitor have a way to notify or log downtimes or disruptions so we can also proactively address trends for these disruptions locally and attempt to coordinate with other parties to resolve as possible?

Many thanks,

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Monitor does not cache collected data.  If the ArcGIS Monitor agent is not able to communicate with the target component or the ArcGIS Monitor server, the data for this time will be empty.  When the connection is available, the data automatically will be inserted.  You could potentially leverage incidents, see https://doc.arcgis.com/en/monitor/latest/get-started/windows/incidents.htm .  For example, you can mark the time in the past as known incidents, so user would know the reasons for the gaps in the data.  Or if you know the future outage, you could schedule incident in the future and turn off monitoring and/or alerting.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Monitor does not cache collected data.  If the ArcGIS Monitor agent is not able to communicate with the target component or the ArcGIS Monitor server, the data for this time will be empty.  When the connection is available, the data automatically will be inserted.  You could potentially leverage incidents, see https://doc.arcgis.com/en/monitor/latest/get-started/windows/incidents.htm .  For example, you can mark the time in the past as known incidents, so user would know the reasons for the gaps in the data.  Or if you know the future outage, you could schedule incident in the future and turn off monitoring and/or alerting.