ArcGIS Monitor 2023: A duplicate was found - Operation cannot proceed

Jump to solution
09-14-2023 12:27 AM
Ranga_Tolapi
Occasional Contributor III

We have 2 Portal for ArcGIS instances on HA.

Successfully registered the first instance with ArcGIS Monitor (version 2023.2) as a Component. While registering the second instance, below error was encountered. How to handle this? Need your help please.

Ranga_Tolapi_0-1694676174212.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesBratton
Occasional Contributor

There is an enhancement in a future version to monitor the primary and standby servers - ENH-000160622.  For now, you can only monitor the site as a whole.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Ranga_Tolapi

Okay, got the below from documentation (ArcGIS Server) regarding multi-machine ArcGIS Server site.

When registering a multi-machine ArcGIS Server site, you only need to register one machine that participates in the site. The machine that you register is designated as the primary machine with which ArcGIS Monitor communicates. If the machine becomes unavailable, Monitor automatically attempts to communicate with other machines in the site to continue collecting data.

Is this behavior same for multi-machine Portal for ArcGIS site? It's not covered in the documentation (Portal for ArcGIS).

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

When registering highly available Portal or ArcGIS Server sites, yes only one connection is needed.

I often recommend using the main URL, instead of the machine URL, when registering HA components, incase of an outage or failover.

Ranga_Tolapi

Got it @ReeseFacendini.

However, I suppose the primary intention of using ArcGIS Monitor is to detect the outage or failover of the components (HA or No-HA).

0 Kudos
JamesBratton
Occasional Contributor

There is an enhancement in a future version to monitor the primary and standby servers - ENH-000160622.  For now, you can only monitor the site as a whole.

JamesBratton
Occasional Contributor

Here is the Esri Idea that I posted.  Please vote for it if you are interested so that the enhancement can be prioritized.

Add monitoring for the Portal standby server - Esri Community