How to size the ArcGIS online web map extent properly-M4CC v1.5.1

02-17-2020 11:44 AM
MikelSavage
New Contributor III

I have a Plus Subscription and have created a web map that I have successfully synced with AI. However, I have yet to understand what determines the resultant AI artboard size. Sizing the extent in the Arcgis Map Mapboard window on the fly is a trial and error process. In the online window I have used the key chord SHIFT+drag to outline the map area but this does not seem to have any affect on the size of the extent inside the AI extension. Is there a way to limit the ArcGIS online web map extent and lock it down before I save it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi Mikel, 

Thanks for your question

In the online window I have used the key chord SHIFT+drag to outline the map area but this does not seem to have any affect on the size of the extent inside the AI extension

Do you have screenshots to show what you mean by this difference?

If you save a webmap in ArcGIS Online and then import it in the extension, yes the extent can be different. This is largely because we calculate the extent size based on the scale of your webmap which we try to preserve. Are you trying to preserve exact same extent of the webmap?

0 Kudos
MikelSavage
New Contributor III

Hello Madhura,

Thank you for your interest.

I don't have a screen shot because it would be difficult to document

what I see in ArcGIS and the final AI compilation.

I might be imaging this but it sure seems like the size of the extent

that AI syncs with is about the same size as the entire ArcGIS browser

window. In other words, if I zoom out in ArcGIS and save, and then

switch to AI and import the webmap in the Mapboard tool, the map extent

seems to be the same as the webmap in my view using ArcGIS.

Sincerely,

Mike

0 Kudos
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Yes you are right it is "about" the same extent (map area). We try to explain how the relationship between scale, page (media) size and extent work with each other in our documentation here. Additionally, these map creation scenarios illustrate how the three properties can affect each other when defining a map size. Hope this helps. If you have additional questions feel free to let me know. 

0 Kudos