Select to view content in your preferred language

Arcgis shows less neighborhood names than google maps

Jump to solution
01-10-2023 01:01 PM
markfrohman
Emerging Contributor

I've noticed when I make a map of a city using arcgis for illustrator, there are far fewer neighborhood names than what is shown in Google maps. I havent found a way to add more of this data other than to manually add neighborhood names from Google which is silly. Does anyone know?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anna_Breton
Esri Contributor

Hi @markfrohman,

Can you share some more info on your map making workflow in the extension? What level of detail are you using? What basemap are you using? My first recommendation is to adjust your level of detail in the mapboard window:

Anna_Breton_0-1673386497253.png

You can either select a preset, or type in your own value to increase the level of detail in your map. 

Let me know if this helps!

Best, 

Anna

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Anna_Breton
Esri Contributor

Hi @markfrohman,

Can you share some more info on your map making workflow in the extension? What level of detail are you using? What basemap are you using? My first recommendation is to adjust your level of detail in the mapboard window:

Anna_Breton_0-1673386497253.png

You can either select a preset, or type in your own value to increase the level of detail in your map. 

Let me know if this helps!

Best, 

Anna

0 Kudos
markfrohman
Emerging Contributor

Hi Anna, thanks for the quick reply. Vector streetmap. I think setting it to neighborhood does seem to add the neighborhoods that were missing (it seems obvious haha). I know I've compared those settings before but maybe I didnt drill down far enough. The only issue is that when I set it to neighborhood, it usually crashes when syncing.

0 Kudos
Anna_Breton
Esri Contributor

Glad changing the scale seems to help. Crashing isn't great though. Do you mind sharing more info on your workflow and setup? What version of Illustrator and the extension are you using? Are you adding any other layers? What size is you map? Are you changing your PPI? Does it crash if you use a different basemaps?

-Anna

0 Kudos
markfrohman
Emerging Contributor

Hi Anna, sorry for the delay. Back on this project and getting tons of crashing at neighborhood scale. The crash happens during the sync process. Im using illustrator 2022 and arcgis extension 3.2. I'm starting with an 8"x10" file but I've tried other sizes as well. I'm not changing the PPI. It seems to hang consistently when I get to 42% (and rename temporary layer completed) if that means anything. I tried the 'streets' basemap and it worked but it only created 5 layers with an uneditable bitmap file which isn't useful for my purpose. The vector streetmap obviously creates a huge amount of data with many vector layers. 

Any suggestions?

thank you!

0 Kudos
Anna_Breton
Esri Contributor

Hey @markfrohman

Thanks for the details! My first recommendation is to install the latest version of Maps for Adobe. You can find info on that in this blog post.

I'm curious if that helps the crashing issue you're seeing. Let me know!

-Anna

0 Kudos
markfrohman
Emerging Contributor

ok, I will try that. As an additional note, I let it run overnight and it seems to have synced but it took 7 hours! Does that seem normal?

0 Kudos
Anna_Breton
Esri Contributor

@markfrohman 7 hours seems a bit high...I'd expect a few min max. Any chance you can share the file that synced successfully? We'd be able to take a deeper look into your specific case. 

-Anna

0 Kudos