Use a created hyperlink to images related to objects within an attribute table in ArcMap

03-07-2017 06:17 PM
HaoHuang
New Contributor

I'm using the textbook "Getting to know ArcGIS" to learn ArcGIS. I am working on the first exercise of the Chapter 15: Use a created hyperlink to images related to objects within an attribute table.

I can get this working fine using absolute paths however I'm getting problems when I try and use relative paths. When I try and open a hyperlink from a relative path I get a message saying:

Unable to open "E:\EsriPress\GTKArcGIS\Chapter15\Data\cabbagetown1.jpg" Please make sure the path is correct and the document exists.

My images are contained within a folder called "Images" and this folder is in the same folder as the mxd.

I've been using this website to ensure I have the correct relative path for my images. I've tried different ways of pathing to my images, but I keep getting the same error.

I've tried putting the relative path in the hyperlink base option of map document properties and in the attribute and neither is working.

Also I have store relative pathnames to data sources ticked on. Although I'm not sure if this makes a difference if I'm not moving the mxd.

Does anyone know why I am getting this error and how to solve it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what is your mxd and folder structure and why is the hyperlink still with the full path specification?  Did you not change the path to remove the extraneous folders prior to testing? If the images are in the same folder as the mxd then you should just need the image name without any path because the image is 'relative' to the mxd (in this case in the same folder)

0 Kudos
HaoHuang
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Finally I figured out it is because ArcMap cannot open Paint program automatically and the default open is Windows Photo Viewer. The image format cannot be opened by Windows Photo Viewer program. When I changed the image into the format that Windows Photo Viewer can open, it works. My current question is as the following: 

When I use hyperlink field in the attribute table to open an image, this image file type can not be opened by the Windows Photo Viewer program, but can be opened by the Paint program. So how can I set ArcMap default use program as Paint program instead of Windows Photo Viewer program?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a quick way is to the file extension association with a particular program... here is a screen grab from windows 10, in your setting setup and Default programs