How to add 2 layers of Tabs in Story Map Series

Jump to solution
03-05-2019 06:45 AM
LandryWells
New Contributor

I am making a Story Map Series for a competition in my high school GIS class. I would like to have two layers, as in you select one tab and then within that tab, you can click through other maps within the tab. An example is: https://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=d9ed7904dbec441a9c4dd7b277935fad 

Here, you can choose the place, then options within the location. I would like to do the same, yet can't find a tutorial. Any and all help is appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CharlieFrye
Esri Contributor

Here's a recent ArcGIS Blog entry with the steps on how to Embed a Story Map within a Story Map

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPisut
Esri Contributor

Hi Landry,

This is a pretty simple trick. Basically it’s a story map within a story map. To get the second level of tabs, copy/paste the URL from another story map into the content area for that tab. Add in &embed at the end of the url and it will strip the headers out. 

Cheers,

Dan

CharlieFrye
Esri Contributor

Here's a recent ArcGIS Blog entry with the steps on how to Embed a Story Map within a Story Map

SamanthaGriffore
Occasional Contributor

Hello Charlie Frye, I've tried your link but am getting request errors. I'm not entirely sure if it's an issue on your end of mine, but any chance you can help clarify the steps for nesting story map series tabs?

I've created two story map series, one main story map series tab themed and one story map series cascade themed that I'd like to nest. 

While selecting the Tab in the main map series that I wish the nest to sit under, I go to "Add", then choose "Web page" as my Content, then add the second web map series URL into the Webpage link box. I've got a title filled in as well, but the "ADD" button remains greyed out. Any ideas what I'm missing here?

0 Kudos
SamanthaGriffore
Occasional Contributor

Correction the nested map series is the Slide Accordion style if that matters.

0 Kudos
CharlieFrye
Esri Contributor

It looks like (thanks for the image) you've done this step correctly.  Unfortunately not all types of storymaps can be embedded (and some older storymaps do not support embedding. That said, you should have been given a more useful message. What type of story map are you embedding the map series into?  The newest builder app, or one of the other templates?

0 Kudos
CharlieFrye
Esri Contributor

I missed that you mentioned Cascade - am double checking before confirming about not being supported.

0 Kudos
SamanthaGriffore
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Charlie Frye‌, apparently just messaging you makes it work. Tried it one more time after I sent and works now, not a clue why! Thanks!

0 Kudos
CharlieFrye
Esri Contributor

Glad it worked

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good luck with your competition! 

GeoMentors

#geomentor