Select to view content in your preferred language

GIS maps of Tehran, the Capital of Iran, from the last 15 years

06-29-2023 11:25 PM
Labels (1)
RanaDadpour
New Contributor
Hi all,
I need to find the GIS maps of Tehran, the Capital of Iran, from the last 15 years. I need them for an urban project to study Tehran’s urban landscape changes over time. Is anyone able to help me please how to locate these maps? I could not access them through local channels in Iran and have no clue where to go from here! Any help is really appreciated, thank you 🙂

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkChappell
New Contributor III

Finding historic GIS data can indeed be a challenge. Below are a few strategies you might consider:

1. Satellite Imagery Providers: Companies like Google Earth, Planet Labs, DigitalGlobe, and others provide historical satellite imagery. You can review the historical data and generate GIS maps using software ArcGIS Pro or through AGOL. However, do note that access to high-resolution historic data often comes with a cost.

2. OpenStreetMap (OSM): OSM keeps track of every edit in their database, and it's possible to get a historical snapshot of the map data. OSM data can be converted to GIS data. However, this approach might not provide you with the level of detail you need for your urban project.

3. University Libraries or Research Institutions: Some universities or research institutions have access to historical satellite data and might be willing to collaborate or share data for research purposes.

4. Government Data Portals: Check if international or Iranian government bodies provide this type of data. For instance, The United States Geological Survey (USGS) provides historic satellite imagery through the EarthExplorer tool.

5. Remote Sensing Companies: Some companies specialize in providing detailed GIS data. Their services are usually commercial and might come at a high price.

6. Contact Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs): Some NGOs collect GIS data for various regions around the world. They might have access to the data you're looking for.

In your specific case, there might be challenges due to the political situation in Iran. If local channels are not available, your best bet would be international sources like the ones mentioned above. Always keep in mind the ethical considerations and potential legal implications when accessing and using such data.

Remember that creating GIS data from historical satellite imagery can be quite a complex task. Depending on the level of detail you need and the resources you have available, you might want to consider partnering with a researcher to assist you with this project. Good luck with your work!

--:--

Mark Chappell
Faiez
by
Occasional Contributor II
0 Kudos