Select to view content in your preferred language

Analyzing Large Amounts of Elevation Data from Living Atlas

07-21-2021 08:36 AM
Justin_P
New Contributor III

The Terrain service in Living Atlas looks great, but unfortunately it seems to be pretty much useless for many of our projects due to the 5000x5000 pixel limit. I work on long linear projects that are often hundreds of miles long, but also require high-resolution data along the entire route. Even using relatively coarse 10m data, that is only 50km long for 5000 pixels. For longer term projects we would of course download all the data and build our own mosaic datasets, but for short term projects it sure would be nice to use a premade elevation service.

So my question is, is there any way to exceed this 5000x5000 pixel limit? Is there another premium service where I can spend credits to analyze larger areas?

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=58a541efc59545e6b7137f961d7de883

0 Kudos
3 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you sure you need all the data? Elevations on roads very much slower than elevations off the road. When you download data from this and other image services you can specify a larger cell size to resample on download and cover much larger area with the 5000x5000 limit.

0 Kudos
Justin_P
New Contributor III

Yes, the analysis processes we run require at least 10m resolution across large areas.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Then, sounds like you want process in local tiles or download data.  The USGS has a similar National Map elevation service but it has limits on it for the same reason: so one user can't monopolize the shared resource!

0 Kudos