Add Google Satellite Imagery Basemap, Google Road Hybrid Basemap, and Google Streets View to ArcGIS Products

09-21-2022 08:24 AM
Labels (2)
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I am sure this has been requested or thought of before but  here it goes...

Recently I had a request from one of our internal staff to add the Google imagery to our internal maps or apps.  His reasoning was that although we have imagery updated every couple years, Google always seems to have the latest imagery available.

After much research, I did manage to figure out how to add the Google imagery and road hybrid base maps to our ArcGIS Online maps gallery and ArcGIS Earth projects. But, it would be nice if Google and ESRI partnered up to do a permanent integration of this data and functionality into ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Earth, and other ESRI products.  I understand that we have the Living Atlas and ArcGIS online content available to add to our maps, but if it was automatically available as a default, I think it would break that barrier and make it much easier for the user.

If ESRI and Google consider it, maybe they can also add the functionality of the Google Streets View.  I work for a local property appraiser and they frequently need to see the street or surrounding areas with updated photos.

Thank you,

Amanda Bishop, GISP

4 Comments
rsun_TQB

I agree with you. If Google Maps API/Google Geocoding/Street View can be integrated with ESRI ArcGIS Online/Enterprise environment. It will be fantastic. The organization need to pay for what they use from Google for sure by registering with their corporate payment and API keys with Google, and ESRI just need to provide an amazingly easy and straightforward way for their users to add those Google services easily into their AGOL/Enterprise 

ABishop

Thank you for the comment @rsun_TQB !

BernSzukalski
Status changed to: Closed

These are all good comments and suggestions, and this is not something new. Over the years (and in past products I've been involved with) we've looked into the potential for integrating Google Maps, including StreetView, more deeply into our products. The limiting factor is the Google Terms of Use (TOUs). Google limits the use of their imagery, StreetView, and other capabilities to within the Google ecosystem - specifically within the context of a Google map. Read the Google licensing for details, but the bottom line is that this is not achievable given the current use limitations.

The situation is different for Bing imagery, which is licensable for use within ArcGIS Online and other Esri products.

As for StreetView, several Esri business partners (Cyclomedia is one) offer similar capabilities and more, though with additional cost.

Because of these limitations, I'm marking this idea as Closed. Not because I, and many others, wouldn't find this favorable, but because it's just not possible at this time.

ClarkSelby

Hi @ABishop and @rsun_TQB

There are two new ways to effortlessly leverage 360 imagery and video in ArcGIS Online and Enterprise.

1. GeoTube for ArcGIS. This tool seamlessly integrates a YouTube video player directly within ArcGIS Experience Builder.  GeoTube allows users to watch YouTube videos (2D or 360) within the web map while simultaneously displaying the associated location, visualizing the video path, and observing the playback location as features on the map. This enhanced user interface provides a comprehensive and intuitive understanding of the spatial relationship between videos and their corresponding geographic locations. You can learn more about GeoTube here: https://www.nodeology.net/geotube/.ClarkSelby_0-1688576210132.jpeg

Visualize in YouTube. Analyze in ArcGIS.
  2. SiteViewer 360 for ArcGIS: By capturing your site with a 360 camera, you can immerse yourself in panoramic views, enabling detailed analysis and exploration from every angle. ArcGIS Online 360 demos are available, featuring imagery of Hurricane Ian, Pittsburgh Steps, and Rails-to-Trails, at the bottom of this page:  https://www.nodeology.net/site-viewer-360-for-arcgis/.  ClarkSelby_1-1688576210140.jpeg

Hurricane Ian 360 imagery