Zoom Gesture Crashing Safari/Chrome on iOS 7 iPad

01-20-2014 10:56 AM
GregoryDillon
New Contributor III
Today I tried my my map (JS 3.8 -http://js.arcgis.com/3.8compact) on my iPad 2 running iOS 7.0.4 and it crashes on the 2nd zoom gesture.    In other words, I'm able to zoom once, but the 2nd zoom just closes Safari.   I see the same behavior using Chrome on this same device.   This almost sounds like a bug in iOS 7.   I've tested my map on a pre-iOS 7 device with no problems.   I'm also not having problems in Windows 7 or 8 or my Android devices using the zoom gestures. 

Its possible I may have loaded a release of iOS 7 prior to 7.0.4 that was working (I can't remember).   I originally tried this using JS 3.4/iOS 7.0.4 and then upgraded to JS 3.8 hoping for a fix.

First, is anybody else seeing this behavior?

Second, does anybody have a work around?

Thanks ahead of time!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
I have the same problem with an iframe.  And I cannot debug, because I don't have a Mac and IPADs have no built in debugging anymore

Great hardware, terrible platform.

Good Luck
0 Kudos
GregoryDillon
New Contributor III
Thanks for your input!

After clearing my cache and totally shutting off my iPad 2 the situation improved (crashed less), but still crashes (black screen briefly appears just before Safari closes).  

Is this an issue particular to iPad 2 or has this been seen on other iPads models/iPhones?  

I'm still looking for workaround or anything to improve the situation.  

FYI - I've looked at my memory and it shows 8GB free so I know thats not the problem.
0 Kudos
ToddHenry1
Occasional Contributor

I'm having similar issues on my iPad 2 with iOS 9.2.  If I have feature layers with more the a couple of hundred features, it crashes and reloads the page to the default extent. 

0 Kudos
ToddHenry1
Occasional Contributor

I believe I have discovered the issue.  It appears that using the halo in the label was causing the crashes for us.  ESRI is in the process of validating that as a bug.  When I turned off the halo in the label everything went back to normal.

LoriFunk
New Contributor

We discovered this problem this morning and are able to reproduce it with only the ESRI satellite imagery base map turned on in the map. There is only one other layer in the map which is turned off and which does not have halos in the labels. When we zoom into about 2m/inch, the map crashes and the page reloads.

0 Kudos
LeviColdiron
New Contributor II

I am also experiencing this issue and have isolated the issue to the label halos on my address point feature class. I'm not sure if 1 or 500 halos are causing the crash, but when I turn them off everything works fine. Funny thing is, everything was fine until it wasn't. I think an update of either iOS or Safari caused the halos to crash the browser. I also tried it in Chrome on an Ipad so that leads me to believe it is an iOS update issue.

0 Kudos