Select to view content in your preferred language

Weirdness in uploading to ArcGIS Online

02-10-2018 10:08 AM
WilliamWill
Emerging Contributor

I am having some very strange issues with uploading feature layers from a geodatabase file. A few months ago I uploaded a geodatabase, and everything uploaded properly. A few days ago, I tried uploading the exact same geodatabase file, and one of the layers was missing exactly two features when viewing the map in both the ArcGIS Online map viewer as well as the map on my web page. When I looked at the geodatabase in ArcMap, the features show up normally. 

When I got to this point, I thought to myself, "Maybe ArcGIS changed the way they parsed the data since I uploaded the first time." Then I opened the layer in ArcGIS Online (as opposed to the developers console), exported the original layers that I uploaded (which still look fine on the map) to a geodatabase and tried uploading that geodatabase to a new layer. When I did that, the features that were missing from the previous upload were present, but two other features were missing from the map. Again I looked at the exported geodatabase in ArcMap and it looked fine. 

I am not sure what to do at this point. I need to update the data on my layers for my application, but this is causing some problems. I've also tried repairing the geometries of the geodatabases in ArcMap to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this issue and solved it?

This is the order of the pics:

Current: The feature layer that I uploaded initially, a few months ago

Second: The feature layer that I uploaded a few days ago, with the same geodatabase file as the previous

Exported Geodatabase: The feature layer that I uploaded from the exported geodatabase that ArcGIS Online gave me

0 Kudos
5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As far as I understand you ZIP the fgdb and upload it to ArcGIS Online and publish it as hosted feature layer there? The best way of creating a hosted feature layer is not uploading the fgdb, but to publish the layer from ArcMap. Publish a map service from ArcMap—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Before you publish the map, you should try and do a Repair Geometry—Help | ArcGIS Desktop , since there might be something wrong with your data.

WilliamWill
Emerging Contributor

So, I just tried re-uploading through ArcMap, the way the link you shared indicated and I am still experiencing the same thing (the same two features missing). I also tried repairing geometries and didn't see a difference. When I'm uploading through ArcMap, I'm getting 3 warnings though:

1. Layer does not have a feature template set

2. Layer's data source is m-aware

3. Map is being published with data copied to the server using data frame full extent.

I looked these up and I from what I read it didn't seem like these would be the ones causing the problems, but I wasn't really sure. Do you know if any of these would be the root of my problem/how to fix them.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I highly doubt #1 or #3 are the issue, #2 shouldn't be, but I have seen stranger things happen.  If you can, I would open an Esri Support case, especially since this is reproducible on your end.  AGOL isn't free from bugs.  Esri does roughly quarterly updates to AGOL, and the last one was December of 2017. 

Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I hope you are not encountering a limitation in any way:

FAQ: Is there a feature limit in ArcGIS Online? 

Features vs. feature services in ArcGIS Online | ArcGIS Blog 

How many features are you dealing with?

WilliamWill
Emerging Contributor

I don't believe this is my problem. My layer has 133 features and the link you shared says the default limit is 1,000 so I think I'm good on this account. Thank you for the suggestion though!

0 Kudos