Publishing ArcGIS online applications for public access

07-07-2015 08:59 AM
MorganKraft
New Contributor

I have created an online map application using the Public Information Template and published it to the public (everyone) but when I try to access the webpage it always asks for me to sign in to my organization. Is there a way to publish an app from my organizational account so that the public can access it without signing in or even being an arcgis online user? Maybe using the Esri resource proxy? Or would I just need to create my own app (using js api) and host it in ArcGIS Server? The whole point of the app is for citizens to be able to access the map, so it doesn't do much good if only I can see it.

Also, I would prefer to use the Public Info Template as apposed to creating my own app from scratch because of the social media layers available through this template. These layers are important to my research as well as the usefulness of the application. And it saves a lot of time if I don't have to deal with raw data from Twitter and such.

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

If the app is shared to everyone then it should be accessible. Perhaps there's a layer in the map that requires organization credentials? Can you share the url to the app?

0 Kudos
MorganKraft
New Contributor

Hi Kelly,

Yes, it turns out that one of the layers was a beta release from Esri requiring an organizational login to access the layer contents. An easy fix was to add this layer as an item in My Contents and provide my organizational credentials so that public users can consume the app without having to sign in.

0 Kudos