Select to view content in your preferred language

Introducing Reporter (Beta)

02-29-2024 06:48 AM
SubaKrishnan
Esri Contributor
5 18 1,914

Reporter (beta) is a new Instant Apps template that offers the ability to view and submit reports to a single map with one or more editable feature layers. The app displays a web map, a side panel with a list of layers, and a button to submit a report. The web map renders all the features from the layer(s) for visualization and interaction. The panel displays all the editable feature layer(s) to view existing report, submit new reports, and easily share individual reports or features. This app is set to replace for the existing Crowdsource Reporter app. 

Set up the app

In Reporter (beta), you can add single map with at least one editable layer. The app can be created from the Instant Apps home page without any content or with a web map from Map Viewer or from the item details page of a web map. In the app configuration you can add map from the available options in the map stack. The process of adding map to the app is different from Crowdsource Reporter since groups are no longer a requirement for this app.

Once you have completed adding the desired map into your app, you will have options to configure the additional capabilities (not a complete list of options):

• Reporter options: Select reporting layers (only applies to editable features), configure report button text, configure report submission text.
  • Header: Choose to include or not include a header in the app.
  • Basemap toggle: Ability to switch to a different basemap.
  • Theme settings: Change the appearance of the app by applying dark or light mode, add a logo to the header, and use custom or predefined colors to style certain elements in the app.
  • Map area: Includes the Map view and Navigation boundary options. The Map view option allows user to set a map extent at which the app opens. Then, in the Navigation boundary option, set boundary limits for map extent and scale.
  • Basic map navigation tools include Home, Zoom tools, Bookmarks, Legend, or Search in the map.

SubaKrishnan_0-1709154007899.png

View and submit reports 

Reporter (beta) displays all the editable feature layers in the side panel. To view a report, the user selects a layer from the list and navigates to the desired feature to view the details. Alternatively, interacting with a feature on the map opens the popup details of the feature on the side panel if the feature is from an editable feature layer.

To submit a new report, the user clicks on the ‘Report an incident’ (configurable text) button either from the main layer list or within a layer to submit a report. The intuitive workflow lets users add or draw the feature’s geometry on the web map and enter the smart form with additional details, along with an option to attach related multimedia. The recently added report appears at the top of the feature list of the layer.

SubaKrishnan_1-1709154007914.png

SubaKrishnan_2-1709154007918.png

Share functionality

To share, the user clicks on the Share button on the side panel to open the Share dialog with options to share the feature details, and the web map. 

SubaKrishnan_3-1709154007920.png

Roadmap

Reporter (beta) will have additional updates in future releases. As this is the beta version of the app, it is a paired down version of what the app will eventually offer. Here are the updates that we are still looking into and plan to make available in future releases of the app:

• Like, Dislike and Commenting option.
  • Filter and Sort options in the feature list.
  • Configurable options to choose the reporting layers.
  • Configurable options to choose the polling layers. This feature is set to replace for the existing Crowdsource Polling app.
  • Improve user experience for the app.

Try it out

We appreciate your feedback to continue improving our templates. Comment below or use the ArcGIS Instant Apps Ideas page. Explore the live sample, or use Reporter (beta) sample app in ArcGIS Online or create your own app.  

Note:

Please be aware of the breaking changes to Reporter after the upcoming June 26th, 2024, ArcGIS Online release.

18 Comments
HenryUnderwood1
New Contributor III

I am excited this is being updated! I noticed that I am no longer able to create a reporter app using the old version. Is that correct/expected?

BethRomero
Esri Contributor

@HenryUnderwood1 The option to create configurable apps has been removed from the Group item page, but the Crowdsource Reporter configurable app is still available to use from this link: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=74b016cef7db42b28599adc5a14b010c

HenryUnderwood1
New Contributor III

@BethRomero The link takes me to the new version. Can you update the link?

SubaKrishnan
Esri Contributor
HenryUnderwood1
New Contributor III

My comment so far is that the map zooms in way too far when you click on an existing point on the map. This should be controllable as to whether it happens or to what scale the map can change. It makes users zoom out a lot or hit the home button to go back to browsing existing information.

Town of Temple Complete Street Project (arcgis.com)

Edit: there is a workaround for the zooming issue. In the app, you can set a maximum extent as well as minimum and maximum zoom levels. Change this as desired to prevent "zooming in" too much.

SubaKrishnan
Esri Contributor

@HenryUnderwood1 Its a known issue and we will be fixing this behavior in the next release. Thank you for sharing your observation.

GordonDixon
New Contributor

Hi

The Insta Reporter (Beta) is awesome. Simple and clean.

Is there a way to make it in English and French? For the most part I can control most of the text in both languages, but it is the small details eg having a Next and Cancel button where I cannot change the text. Also the tips with the little light bulb show up in English

Thanks

SubaKrishnan
Esri Contributor

@GordonDixon Thank you for your feedback! The beta version only supports English language. We're planning to get it out Beta next release and the app would then support translations. 

DannyLawlor
New Contributor II

Is there a way to configure the "Choose a category for your report" and "Please provide the details for your report" text that appears after clicking on the "submit report" button? In my case, what I'm using the reporter for does not mesh well with the word "report." Same goes for the "Click on the map to add to add a point" text. I'd like to have the ability to alter or remove these text blocks to improve the user's understanding. I was able to to change the "Report submitted message" text and "Submit report button text" (both in the "Reporter" section of the app configuration). 

Reporter_comment.JPG  

Also, I know the zoom action has already been identified as an issue that will be addressed, but I'm just seconding that it does cause problems. 

Thanks

SubaKrishnan
Esri Contributor

Hi @DannyLawlor In the upcoming release in 2 weeks, we've changed the strings and will not be using the word 'report'. And, we've fixed the zooming issues too. Please note there will be new features added to the reporter app and it will be out to beta.

DannyLawlor
New Contributor II

Hello @SubaKrishnan 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I'm glad to hear about the upcoming changes.

I have an additional question. 

I see in the Roadmap above that a like, dislike, and commenting option has been planned. Is this option part of the new features that will be added in two weeks?

Thanks again for your help.

SubaKrishnan
Esri Contributor

@DannyLawlor Yes, it is added as planned. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I'm happy to help!

DavidG
by
New Contributor

Hi @SubaKrishnan 

I really like using the reporter app and I'm happy to hear that an update is coming.

Does this update mean that the reporter app can also be configured in a dashboard? (Now it can only be embedded, but as a result, I miss out on the functionalities and integration of the dashboard.)

Furthermore, is there a possibility to add pop-ups with a hover function or in the middle of the screen like in other webviewers? Currently, the comments and pop-ups are in the same left menu, but users have mentioned that they find it annoying not being able to view reports and feature information simultaneously.

Thanks

SubaKrishnan
Esri Contributor

@DavidG I'm glad to hear that you enjoy using reporter app. 

In the upcoming version of the reporter app, it can still only be embedded in the dashboard. And, we've added an enhancement to show popup on the map for the non-editable layers/reference layers when clicked on the map. 

TeamGEOHHSK
New Contributor

Hi @SubaKrishnan 

It's great that the Reporter app is getting an update; it is a really nice addition to the available instant apps! I was wondering if the upcoming version will also support displaying the info-box that can be configured in Field Maps Designer. It currently doesn't show up.

I've made a post about this and a related problem before: Required field and calculated expression not working as intended? 

Thanks

SubaKrishnan
Esri Contributor

Hi @TeamGEOHHSK I tried configuring popup with calculated expressions with Field Maps Designer and its working with the reporter app.  The new version of the app will be out next week and if you still have any issues, please feel free to reach out to me or log a support case. Thanks!

DannyLawlor
New Contributor II

Hello @SubaKrishnan,

You helped me recently with some questions I had about the beta version of Reporter. I have some questions about the Reporter app now that it is out of beta. I don't see a new thread for the new version. Would I be able to ask those questions here? Should I reach out directly to either you or @BethRomero (authors of the "ArcGIS Instant Apps: Introducing Reporter" article)? Or, Is there another way to go about it? 

Thanks for all your help thus far,

Danny Lawlor

SubaKrishnan
Esri Contributor

@DannyLawlor. You can reach out to us directly. Happy to help!