Looking for Examples of non-spatial data used in ArcGIS Insights

Jump to solution
02-12-2020 02:18 PM
DamonNelton
Occasional Contributor

I'm proposing the use of ESRI products to capture manufacturing data. Technically the data has location (an operating assembly line in an actual warehouse) but the analytics we are after are more about the data variables of the manufactured product which is non-spatial. Example, if we have 10 variables in our cookie recipe and we are conducting taste testing at the end we want to know why some taste good and other taste bad. We probably don't need to use ESRI but Survey 123 for data input for some of the 10 variables and live stream via geoevent server data collection for some of the others would effectively capture the data. From there ESRI has plenty of analysis tools to predict what settings the 10 variables should be set at to get great tasting cookies. This examples primary focus is non-spatial analysis but I suspect once this is established the question of comparing individual manufacturing lines at different facilities will play into this. 

Does anyone know of any good examples or case studies showing how ArcGIS Insights can be used to see what others can't with primarily non-spatial data. My audience will be non-GIS Executives with short attention spans, so no super long videos.

Thanks and appreciate any help on this - Or tell me to stop force feeding every problem into the ESRI environment, LOL

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

Hello William,

Not sure if you've seen the Insights example gallery?  Gallery | Examples from the Insights Community 

There may be examples of interest to you in there.  For example, the sports categories don't necessarily have a spatial component.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you're interested in some examples of how Insights can be used to highlight trends/patterns that aren't otherwise obvious.  To me, you're asking about other datasets that would help justify the use case for Insights.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, though.  One idea that comes to mind is stock market data.  It's not an existing example or case study, so you'd have to create your own but it would help to illustrate the point of Insights I think.  You could take the daily closing prices from companies in a specific industry (for example, all oil and gas companies in the Houston area) and run those through Insights.  Technically these companies have a spatial location (i.e., their main HQ address) but you'd be mainly interested in what details emerge from Insights once the data is brought into the application... especially the temporal aspect.  Let me know if I'm way off base here.  

0 Kudos
DamonNelton
Occasional Contributor

Your kind of on track. I'm looking for a simple already made example like a youtube video showing how non-spatial data can be used in AcrGIS Insights to justify using ESRI. I'm really looking for an example that would speak to the manufacturing sector. Like my example of the cookie factory. When I tell them that ESRI can collect the data about how they make cookies and give them insights to what/how different variables effect the end product of the cookie the first question they are going to ask is why ESRI. There's nothing to map. That being said I don't totally disagree that ESRI may not be the best product but it's the product I know and I feel could deliver the analytics they are after. If I had an example it would go a long way. 

0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor

The best example I can find is this video.  It's not manufacturing specific (I couldn't find one like that), but it gets the point across in a short-lived amount of time.  

0 Kudos
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

Hello William,

Not sure if you've seen the Insights example gallery?  Gallery | Examples from the Insights Community 

There may be examples of interest to you in there.  For example, the sports categories don't necessarily have a spatial component.

0 Kudos