Select to view content in your preferred language

Filtering for insights page

Jump to solution
03-16-2023 12:27 PM
PamelaLocke1
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

I have created an Insights page that is shared with a specific group I work with.  Is there a way to let them apply filters to tables?  

For example, when I am in the Workbook, I can filter a table to view only a certain set of data, but when I share the page with this group, the ability to filter the data is no longer there.  

This table has building names, floors, rooms, and the count of assets per room, as well as a total $ value.  I would like to be able to filter to only look at this data for 1 building in the shared page.  It doesn't make sense to have tables for each building since we have over 80 buildings.  This data is linked to other charts and a map, but if I click on the building in a another chart or map, it only highlights the rows in the table, and doesn't filter (i still see the overall totals, not the total per building). 

Thanks. 

Pamela 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KateMaclachlan
Esri Contributor

Hi Pamela - sorry for the delayed reply. So unfortunately at this time Insights does not fully support Query layers (see our supported data types here) However, we do support SQL database and polygons. Is it possible for you to bring the source data in and perform an enable location? 
Another thing you could try is using the "Copy to workbook" tool to copy your Assets query layer into the workbook - that may allow you to perform the predefined filter. However that does disconnect it from the source data. 

Check out Copy to workbook documentation 

Hopefully this helps!

Kate

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KateMaclachlan
Esri Contributor

Hi Pamela, 

I have a couple suggestions that i hope will help.
The first is to create a predefined filter widget. This can be found in the top right of the workspace (see image)

KateMaclachlan_0-1678995316621.png

You can set this up to use fields from your data - such as building name. And if you only want your viewers to be able to look at one building at a time you can go into the `Card Options` > `Appearance` and set it to be a single select ot a drop down and your viewers will be able to select the relevant building. Note that using a predefined filter will filter every card on the page that uses the dataset you chose to filter by. 

For your second comment about selecting on one card highlighting the relevant components on another. If you want the selection to filter the other cards you can turn on `Cross filters` on the cards you wish to be filtered by your selection. This option can be found at the top of each card.Turning this on will mean that the card that has the setting will be filtered when a selection is mad on another card using the same dataset.

KateMaclachlan_1-1678995535999.png

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need more details.

Here is the link to the doc explaining more about:
Crossfilters 
Predefined filters

Thanks,
Kate

PamelaLocke1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kate - thank you!  This looks like exactly what I need. 

I'll try it out and respond back if I have any other questions. 

Pamela 

PamelaLocke1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kate - it's saying the layer I want to set up the predefined filter is not supported.  It's a query layer joining a table in our SQL database and a GIS polygon layer that I published.  

PamelaLocke1_0-1679068670211.png

0 Kudos
KateMaclachlan
Esri Contributor

Hi Pamela - sorry for the delayed reply. So unfortunately at this time Insights does not fully support Query layers (see our supported data types here) However, we do support SQL database and polygons. Is it possible for you to bring the source data in and perform an enable location? 
Another thing you could try is using the "Copy to workbook" tool to copy your Assets query layer into the workbook - that may allow you to perform the predefined filter. However that does disconnect it from the source data. 

Check out Copy to workbook documentation 

Hopefully this helps!

Kate

0 Kudos