Can anyone explain why a “new” dataset table is deleted when trying to update an existing dataset table in an Esri Insights wookbook?

Jump to solution
04-05-2018 02:23 PM
BryanHuebner
New Contributor III

I have an established Insights workbook, with designated cards. The data being used comes from "Table A" when I add "Table B" (updated data) and attempt to 'Update' Table A - which should be a very simple process according to all of Esri's documentation - Table B is deleted from the table of content and Table A remains the same. Both tables are formatted identically and contain the exact same fields.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BryanHuebner
New Contributor III

Will, the Insights platform is a web based application. Though you can make a database connection through Insights these particular tables are uploaded as a .csv. 

But, I have resolved this problem myself. To update an existing dataset table it, and the "new" dataset table, must have populated coordinate (X/Y) fields. When the original dataset table is added to your Insights workbook click on the 'enable location' and select your geographic coordinate system (GCS). When adding the "new" dataset table, that will replace the existing one, DO NOT enable location on the incoming table, after you have added it to the workbook's table of contents. Switch to 'Analysis view' in the workbook click 'update' on the dataset bubble you are updating and follow the prompts. You're done!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
WillHughes2
New Contributor III

HI Bryan,  Could you describe your environment? Are the tables in a database, ArcGIS Server service, or a hosted feature service? Thank you. Will

BryanHuebner
New Contributor III

Will, the Insights platform is a web based application. Though you can make a database connection through Insights these particular tables are uploaded as a .csv. 

But, I have resolved this problem myself. To update an existing dataset table it, and the "new" dataset table, must have populated coordinate (X/Y) fields. When the original dataset table is added to your Insights workbook click on the 'enable location' and select your geographic coordinate system (GCS). When adding the "new" dataset table, that will replace the existing one, DO NOT enable location on the incoming table, after you have added it to the workbook's table of contents. Switch to 'Analysis view' in the workbook click 'update' on the dataset bubble you are updating and follow the prompts. You're done!