Indoor Viewer - Search by Unit ID

Jump to solution
03-21-2023 06:29 AM
AndrewBowne
Occasional Contributor III

I might be missing something really simple here.... Using the Indoors Viewer, why can't I search for units by UNIT_ID?  It appears that all I can search by is NAME.  We have a specific use case where we want users to be able to search by the UNIT_ID.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Suleyman-Arslan
Occasional Contributor

Hello @AndrewBowne,

You can use "Configure Indoors Categories" tool to configure search fields and suggestion templates.

SuleymanArslan_0-1679406590663.png

You can check below documentation.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.0/help/data/indoors/create-an-indoors-category.htm

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Suleyman-Arslan
Occasional Contributor

Hello @AndrewBowne,

You can use "Configure Indoors Categories" tool to configure search fields and suggestion templates.

SuleymanArslan_0-1679406590663.png

You can check below documentation.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.0/help/data/indoors/create-an-indoors-category.htm

AndrewBowne

Does this mean that UNITS need to be configured as Indoors Categories?  By default, UNITS are searchable - but it only seems that they can be searched by NAME

0 Kudos
Suleyman-Arslan
Occasional Contributor

I am not sure but it might be true if you used default template map provided with ArcGIS Indoors.  Otherwise you have to set manually. When you create default indoors categories it uses NAME filed by default. You have to set manually for other fields.

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

Looks like you have to create an indoor category in order to modify the search attributes.  I was hoping to not have to create a new category.  It doesn't look like that's the case.

0 Kudos
GauravJobanputra
Esri Contributor

At @AndrewBowne I have a solution for you that does not require you to create categories. You can use it if you like. The way you can get it to work is to set UNIT_ID as the Display Field in Pro for the Units layer (it is set to Name by default). Be sure that you still use NAME for labeling. You will now be able to search using characters that match the UNIT_ID and the search suggestions will show the entire value (instead of the name) - see screenshot below.

GauravJobanputra_0-1679421523163.png

GauravJobanputra_1-1679421571012.png

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

@GauravJobanputra - This is (almost) exactly what I'm looking for.  If I change the display field I can search by either the NAME or the UNIT_ID.  What I see that may be different from your screen shots is that when I search by UNIT_ID, the NAME is returned.  Yours's seems to return both the NAME and the UNIT_ID - unless I'm reading your nomenclature incorrectly.  

AndrewBowne_0-1679424578502.png

^Search by UNIT_ID results in only showing the NAME result(s).  Should I be seeing the NAME and the UNIT_ID in the search results?

I'm on Portal for Enterprise 11.0

0 Kudos
GauravJobanputra
Esri Contributor

@AndrewBowne you are seeing the NAME value in the dropdown as you created categories (based on the comment from your previous post) and they are still present in your map.

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

@GauravJobanputra you were correct, I still had the category configured.  I deleted the category and updated the display field for the UNITS layer and I still can't search by UNIT_ID.  Should this work with Enterprise Portal 11.0?

AndrewBowne_0-1679486162539.png

Searching by a UNIT_ID

AndrewBowne_1-1679486182764.png

0 Kudos
GauravJobanputra
Esri Contributor

@AndrewBowne two questions specific to your map:

- Is the Units layer a hosted feature layer or registered feature service or map image layer?

- What is the data type of UNIT_ID? Is it string/text or integer?

0 Kudos