What return the AddZInformation_3d for slope value, percentage or grade???

07-03-2017 03:47 PM
jorquake
New Contributor

i run the process AddZInformation_3d, the tool help says "Slope is returned as a percentage value, or grade, and is calculated differently for each geometry type that supports this property."

but how to do i know what type of value i get???

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

What results do you have (range of values?) 

Aren't you able to tell if you have percentage or just grade? Is you terrain rather flat of do you have steep slopes?

If you have percentages you will have values like 100(%) for 45° in case of just grade it will be 1.

jorquake
New Contributor

hi xander, thanks for answer, first i had a 2D polygon feature, then to get a 3D feature i did an InterpolateShape_3d using a DTM raster with meters as units, later to get the AVG_SLOPE, and the MAX_SLOPE of the 3D feature i use the AddZInformation_3d.

with this process i get th values but i dont know if they are percentage value, or grade.

PS: i hope is understendable my inglish is not to good.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think Xander is suggesting to take a look at your values... if any of the values are > 90, then most definitely the slopes are in percentage.  If some of the values are > 45 then probably then would be in percentage UNLESS you have some steep slopes in your area and they might be in degrees.  As he states 45 degrees is a 100% slope.  You can do the rise over run math to see if the returned values are reasonable in either degrees or percentage based on your knowledge of the area

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi jor quake , can you share what range of AVG_SLOPE value you have obtained? You could check and see in what range of AVG_SLOPE values the majority of your data is located. A slope of 45% is already pretty steep. If the majority of your values are in the range of 0 - 1 you will have grade and if it is in the range 0 - 100 it will be percentage.