Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to upload Featured Image in Hub Projects

Jump to solution
12-28-2023 09:36 AM
EH_Alaska
Occasional Contributor

Hello! I'm trying to upload a Featured Image to one of my projects in Hub. However I get the following "Error saving edits" message, and the image does not get saved to the Project.

Hub Photo Error.PNG

This happens with any image, any project. It's a bit of a problem because I want to add as much content as I can to our Projects. I know that Hub Projects is still in Beta and this is likely an issue stemming from it being a WIP. But if there are any Esri staff available to investigate, your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayDev
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi @EH_Alaska, the Hub team has been able to reproduce the issue you've described and are currently working on a fix. Thank you for reporting it! I'll provide an update here once the issue has been resolved.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
imanebenromdhane
Occasional Contributor

If you're encountering an "Error saving edits" message when trying to upload a Featured Image to one of your projects in Hub, there are several potential solutions you can try:

1. Check File Format and Size: Ensure that the image file you are trying to upload is in a supported format (common formats include JPEG, PNG, GIF) and that it is not excessively large. Some platforms may have limitations on file size, and attempting to upload an image that exceeds these limits could result in an error.

2. Internet Connection: Verify that your internet connection is stable. A shaky or unreliable connection can sometimes lead to errors during file uploads. If possible, try uploading the image from a different network to see if the issue persists.

3. Browser Compatibility: Check if you are using a supported and up-to-date web browser. Some features may not work correctly in older browsers or browsers that are not officially supported by the platform. Consider trying a different browser to see if the problem persists.

4. Clear Browser Cache: Cached data in your browser may sometimes interfere with the upload process. Try clearing your browser cache and then attempt to upload the image again.

5. File Path Length: Ensure that the file path (including the file name) is not too long. Long file paths can sometimes cause issues with file uploads. Shorten the file path and try uploading the image again.

6. Project Permissions: Confirm that you have the necessary permissions to edit and upload content to the specific project. Insufficient permissions could result in errors when trying to save edits. Check the project settings and your user permissions.

7. Hub Platform Updates: Check if there are any updates or patches for the Hub platform. Sometimes, issues with file uploads are addressed in software updates. Ensure that you are using the latest version of the platform.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it may be beneficial to reach out to the support or help desk for the specific Hub platform you are using. They can provide more tailored assistance and may be aware of any platform-specific issues that could be causing the error.

I would like you to let me know if the problem is resolved and thank you
0 Kudos
LoriDLewis
New Contributor

I'm having trouble with Project images, also. I'm not getting the error message; I can place the image in the editor, but when I view it, the images don't appear. So I go back into the editor and the images are gone.

I don't have any problems with images anywhere else in my Hub Initiative.

Ugh. I hope you can help!

Here's the project page.

0 Kudos
LoriDLewis
New Contributor

And yes, I'm saving it and watching the green bar advance.

0 Kudos
JayDev
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi @LoriDLewis, are you selecting the 'Done' button after selecting an image to add to the Project? If you miss confirming the image by selecting 'Done,' the image will not be uploaded and saved to the Project. 

JayDev_0-1719841646058.png

0 Kudos
JayDev
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi @EH_Alaska, the Hub team has been able to reproduce the issue you've described and are currently working on a fix. Thank you for reporting it! I'll provide an update here once the issue has been resolved.

EH_Alaska
Occasional Contributor

Awesome, thank you so much for investigating!

0 Kudos
imanebenromdhane
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
I appreciate your feedback and good luck in your work
0 Kudos
EH_Alaska
Occasional Contributor

Hey @JayDev ,

I just went and uploaded a Featured Image to one of my projects and... it worked! So yay! Now I have another issue. I want my projects to have thumbnails, but unfortunately the thumbnails are blurry on the Project page (regardless of what size the thumbnail images are uploaded at). Here's what it looks like when I upload my image (2000px by 1333px) to the Project page:

Clear Image.PNG

And here's what it looks like on the published Project page:

Blurry Image.PNGThe project makes the thumbnail large, almost like a header, but at thumbnail resolution. I could remove all the thumbnails from our projects but then we'd be removing our branding capabilities. I had hoped that by uploading a featured image, the featured image would replace the thumbnail on the main project page but that didn't end up being the case. Maybe that's the solution though? Thank you again for working on this!

0 Kudos
imanebenromdhane
Occasional Contributor

It seems that you have successfully uploaded a featured image for one of your projects, but you are now experiencing an issue with the sharpness of thumbnails on the project page. Here are some steps you can follow to resolve this issue:

1-Check the Resolution of the Featured Image: Ensure that the uploaded featured image has a sufficient resolution to be used as a thumbnail. Low-resolution images may appear blurry when resized.

2-Resize Thumbnails Correctly: If you are using thumbnails, make sure they are resized correctly to match the intended display size on the project page. Use an image editing tool to resize thumbnails accurately.

3-Optimize Compression Quality: When resizing or compressing images, make sure not to compress too much, as it may result in a loss of quality. Try using optimal compression to maintain sharpness.

4-Verify File Format: Ensure that images are saved in a compatible file format suitable for web use, such as JPEG or PNG. Some formats may be more suitable than others for maintaining visual quality.

5-Theme or CSS: If you are using a theme on your platform or a content management system (CMS), check for thumbnail-related settings in the theme. CSS rules may also influence the display of images.

6-Adjust Default Quality: Some systems have default settings for image quality. Make sure these settings are not set too low, as it could affect the sharpness of thumbnails.

7-Test with Different Browsers: Display issues can sometimes be browser-specific. Be sure to test on different browsers to see if the problem persists.

0 Kudos