04-28-2020 05:48 AM
Anneka_France
Occasional Contributor III

We only have a limited number of community user IDs included with our hub premium licence, so we don't want to allow anyone to follow our initiatives and use up our allocation. As a result, we want to control who can join the hub community for our initiatives. Is it possible to create a sign up form that will automatically add new members to the community and specified hub teams, but only when we have approved them? 

So far, I have managed to set up a Survey123 form to collect their details. I've then created a webhook to notify the core team via Slack message and then we have to manually add the new user to the community account and add them to the initiative groups. Is there a more streamlined way to automate this?

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
3 Replies
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

Hi Anneka France‌ great question and implementation on your part.  Unfortunately, this isn't functionality that ArcGIS Hub supports out-of-the-box just yet, but is something under discussion for sign-up of new members.  

Bulk adding approved survey respondents to the community organization and then to target initiative groups is likely the best course of action today.  While you can define certain groups to be "New Member Defaults", they are limited to those in the same organization as the user which is not where initiative groups are currently managed.

If you'd like to ensure users cannot sign-up to your community organization easily consider the following...
1. Lowering the visibility of followers groups in an initiative's "Community" tab if they will be displayed on public sites
2. Remove system supplied follow buttons in a site's "Settings" by disabling the "Follow Tab"

3. Turning off global navigation on publicly-facing sites to remove the sign-in button (users can create an account using this), but understand that will limit your ability to sign-in directly on that site

Anneka_France
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Brian. Is there an enhancement request for this that I can be added to? Or would it be useful to set up an idea here in GeoNet?

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
0 Kudos
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

Anneka France‌ I don't see a support enhancement request for this type of sign-up QA/QC process for ArcGIS Hub, feel free to log one so it can be triaged.  You are of course welcome to set up an idea and get additional thoughts/considerations from the GeoNet community.

I've already sent your comment directly to the ArcGIS Hub product manager to be used as an example workflow for those ongoing "sign-up of new members" discussions.  I have a feeling we'll be chatting with you directly around this workflow in the near future to get additional details.

0 Kudos