Open Data, Metadata Description Formatting

Jump to solution
05-22-2020 08:43 AM
BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I'm using open data for the first time and im noticing that my nicely formatted description from a layer in arcgis online are not carrying over to the layer in open data. Its carrying bits and pieces and is making things very difficult to me. Is there a guide to formatting for open data? or does anyone know why this is happening?

Here are some examples:

AGO with nicely formatted description: https://usflibrary.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=8ab43e1433b54ff8ad050ab7c6477536

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah, interesting. In this case, we may consider a revision in Hub. Thanks for bringing this to our attention - i'll follow up once I've had a few discussions internally.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

we'll take a look and get right back to you!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hub is starting to implement more strict sanitizers. The `<font>` tag you have is no longer supported/valid HTML according to HTML5

Esri as a whole is considering this more strict rule set for all applications for security reasons...Hub has begun implementing the more secure rule set ahead of the ArcGIS Online item details page. Other applications within Esri are also updating to be more secure so I suggest you make edits to remove the legacy HTML and stay current. 

If you're looking for a way to get larger sections, I suggest you style to your elements or make use of the various heading levels available in HTML....such as `<h3>` 

If you're looking for ways to bold, I suggest using `<strong>` or another valid HTML formatting tag.

Happy to answer more questions or concerns if you have them. 

0 Kudos
BenjaminMittler

Thanks Graham.

What sucks is that ArcGIS Online itself is the one adding the Font and Bold tags. When I use the built in metadata editor in AGO these are being added. So ArcGIS Online is essentially formatting my description in a format that open data will not read.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah, interesting. In this case, we may consider a revision in Hub. Thanks for bringing this to our attention - i'll follow up once I've had a few discussions internally.

0 Kudos
BenjaminMittler

Hey Graham,

Yesterday when i checked a few of my layers in open data it looked like the HTML requirements had been revised as my data was displaying properly. Looking now all of my datasets are back to having their descriptions limited by the HTML tags. was something changed between yesterday and today?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

A fix is coming out - you caught a preview of the new release. It should hopefully be out 100% today.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

we have re-allowed the `font` tag 

0 Kudos