My OpenData site isn't returning any shapefiles

2628
9
02-09-2016 12:04 PM
ChrisMathers
Regular Contributor II

Home | Bay County, FL Open Data Portal

I've looked through some of the threads of other peoples issues and I can say from the start, the services are up, they open in AGOL and desktop apps, they even show up in the little map view on the OpenData site. They do not however give you any results when you try to download. The app works on trying to make the download for a while and then gives an error that the service isn't available. Any advice?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

The Open Data site appears to be working.  The parcels layer took awhile, but finally returned a shapefile.  If you click on the Activity at the top right, you may see something like the following:

Screen1.PNG

However, you can click 'Download unfiltered version' and you will receive the shapefile successfully.

0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Regular Contributor II

But that file is from two weeks ago. The parcels have been updated since then.

Edit: Its ~117k polygon features if that means anything to the process. We have people who want to download the whole thing regularly.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We're trying to track down an issue that may be due to NetScaler WAF (Web app firewall?).  It came to our attention when we found that we could do a query against the service, let's say

OBJECTID <10

inside the network, but externally, it will show the web adaptor's default (under construction) web page.  I breaks with a < or >   ....and maybe other equations.  I've been told by tech support that OpenData requires these.
My guess is NetScaler WAF is blocking these, but still waiting for confirmation from our network people....and then we'll see if that resolves the issue for us.

I could be curious if that is your issue.  Even if not NetScaler WAF, some other firewall that may block special math characters.

ChrisMathers
Regular Contributor II

Hmm that doesn't seem to be it for me. I tried it and the math characters are working on our services. I've had parcels at "0% - gathering the data" for about 30 minutes now.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I was getting that too, even if just trying to download 5 records to a spreadsheet (tried many things...and it would never download).

FYI - You can find error messages if you can get to you opendata site manager (I almost always have to go thru AGOL-My Organization->EditSettings->OpenData->Manage Sites)

Then go to you site->Data Manager  and it may show errors there.  I have had several different types of errors....the last one I was getting was

"Warning: An error occurred calculations stats for <field>"   for each field.

My open site does seem to communicate with my ArcGIS Server services, just doesn't work to download.

0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Regular Contributor II

I just have warnings on them about licenses and some not being the only feature class in the service.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I had that at first.  Go back to you mxd...make a copy if needed...and make sure you have ONLY one layer...then publish again, or as a new one.

That should make that error go away....but you will want to do a manual "recache" on opendata.  That should resolve that issue.  whether that fixes the download issue or not, I'm not sure, but I'd be curious.

ChrisMathers
Regular Contributor II

Worked very slowly this morning. I actually downloaded the current parcels. I guess now I get to investigate if its a throughput issue on my end.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just to update you on our issue, our network security folks found the issue with the < > queries being blocked (by assuming the NetScaler WAF).  So now that that is fixed, I am able to download.

I would have never guess that not being able to do a query with and less-than, or a greater-than symbol (and maybe other) against the ArcGIS Server service query page would be connected to an issue on OpenData....but it was.  Esri staff called it right.

I wanted to mention this in case others run across this thread and have issues.  I good thing to test....outside your firewall.

Anyway, as you mentioned Chris....our download is a bit slow too.... but it at least works now.

0 Kudos