Is it Possible to see how Many Times Data has Been Downloaded?

Jump to solution
10-22-2020 12:55 PM
Mandalorian
New Contributor III

In the Site Dashboard you can visualize how many times the Hub has been viewed, etc. But a more valuable metric for us is being able to see how many downloads a particular data item has.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Hi Nathan,

This is not possible but it is on our backlog. We plan on building a richer analytics experience including adding metrics on download counts and file formats. This work will likely start in early 2021 at the earliest. Also, if you're a site manager you can also add a Google Analytics tracking ID to see how users are interacting with your site and content. You can track downloads by setting up a goal for observing events with the category "Download". Each download event is a different route so you can look at them like page views and count the number of events.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Hi Nathan,

This is not possible but it is on our backlog. We plan on building a richer analytics experience including adding metrics on download counts and file formats. This work will likely start in early 2021 at the earliest. Also, if you're a site manager you can also add a Google Analytics tracking ID to see how users are interacting with your site and content. You can track downloads by setting up a goal for observing events with the category "Download". Each download event is a different route so you can look at them like page views and count the number of events.

Mandalorian
New Contributor III

Hi Thomas Hervey,

Thanks for the response. This would be very helpful information for us to have and I'm glad to hear it's on the roadmap. Site views/sessions are great to know, but it's also important for us to know what content is most popular. I'll be on the lookout for your next post. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Mandalorian
New Contributor III

Thomas Hervey‌,

Thanks for linking the Google Analytics instructions. I went ahead and went through them and tried to configure our Google Analytics Tracking ID with our Hub, but Google Analytics just jumped up to version 4 and the Tracking ID syntax has changed. So, when I try to set the ID, this is the error that I get:

Will ArcGIS Hub be accepting Google Analytics 4 Tracking ID's in the near future?

JDScharf
New Contributor II

Hi Thomas,
I am trying to figure out how to to use the Google Analytics to observe an event with the category "Download" as you shared above, but wanted to see if there were any updates on adding Download metrics to the ArcGIS Hub.

Thanks for any info!

~Jason Scharf, City of Syracuse Open Data Program Manager