Hub Community Org - view only roles

11-08-2019 05:11 PM
MegHoole
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to allow a named user from the Community Org to have a custom role with view only privies (no privies to create content).  I tested this, and it doesn't appear that a view only community org member is able to follow an initiative.

The idea is that its more likely that we have community members who want to follow initiatives, but are not going to be contributing content.

We'd also like to be able to control whether or not Community Org members can create content.  Content in the Community Org consumes credits - there is no way to throttle the amount of data storage a Community member has access to, yet the Parent Org is on the hook for purchasing additional service credits.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

Meg Hoole‌ you can remove a community member's ability to create content in the "Role Privileges" section of the associated community organization.  Please confirm the "Groups" > "Join external groups" priv is enabled for all community org members to ensure they can "follow" you initiative.

MegHoole
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Brian... I tested this just now. 

• In the Community Org, I created a custom role based on the default Viewer role, and added the privie to join external groups.   
  • I assigned this account to a user.  The user followed the initiative successfully.
  • on a side note:
    • I edited an initiative and was able to invite the View only Community Org member to the team (they show up in the list when inviting), and get a message that the View only member was added to the team successfully - but I think that is wrong.
    • If view only members of the Community Org (or the Parent Org for that matter) can't be a member of the Team - it would probably be good to display a message that the user doesn't have required privies to be a team member....there is no indication to the Initative author that a member listed has the required privies.
0 Kudos
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

Likely an issue, I'll pass that along to the team.  Thanks!