How to stop gallery web part from opening map under hub site header?

09-18-2020 05:46 AM
ChelseaDickerson1
New Contributor II

I have a gallery web part with links to apps. When click on that app, whether "open in new tab" is selected or not, it opens with the hub site header bar above it.

I don't want that, as each of our apps has a very similar header; it now looks redundant. Users can access our apps from our main website (michigan.gov/egle) so we need to keep the branded header within the app itself.

There's no option to edit the source code of the gallery web part, either. Help?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

Hi Chelsea Dickerson‌ -- you can turn this off by going to the site's editor, opening the side panel and selecting "Settings" > "Interactions" and turning off "App Page".

ChelseaDickerson1
New Contributor II

Perfect! Thank you!

0 Kudos
KevinMacLeodCAI
Occasional Contributor II

@BrianRollisonthis particular setting seems to be gone.  In unchecked everything in the app settings, below. Thoughts? I want web apps to open with the header or at least with out the large Side Panel, which seems to lack any way to close or minimize it. (If I could at least minimize it as a user that would be ok but I would rather jut not see it at all. And Users can use the browser Back button if they want to go back to the Hub)

KevinMacLeodCAI_0-1624539964663.png

0 Kudos
JustinPrather
Esri Contributor

Hi @KevinMacLeodCAI –

That setting name has changed since last year. It's now labeled as "Embedded Apps".

Embedded Apps toggled-on will open applications in the context of your site. Toggled-off, it will open apps in their native application (e.g. a Story Map would open with a Story Maps URL).

As for the side panel on the left-side of the page, you can minimize this side-panel per page by pressing on the "i" (information) icon. Are there specific types of content that you don't want to see the side panel? Are there some types that you are ok with seeing it? If you can provide additional feedback about why you would like to minimize or remove it, that would help us. Thank you!

0 Kudos
KevinMacLeodCAI

@JustinPrather thanks for the rapid and detailed reply!

Indeed I have already un-checked that (in screenshot) and it did not seem to have any effect. Thoughts?

I think in most cases, I do not want to see that or have it expanded by default. So maybe only in very select cases would I want it, and none that I can think of, at the moment. Apps usually have all the 'About' info, metadata etc already in them. Usually we put that in the About widget or a link in the header to more info for example. And so I want to make that hidden for users by default on my Hub. Not requiring them to click the minimize.  Frankly, I don't even want them to see the Minimized panel.  I'd like to see an option for that to just disappear completely after a given amount of time (i.e. 10 seconds or customizable).  Maybe if the user mouses to the left, show it. Or reloads. But really, at the end of the day I view it as 100% unnecessary in most situations; and confusing to end users.  My goal is if they want to go back to the Hub, they can click Back. If they want to see info about an App, it will be in the About widget or back on the Hub page. Thanks again!

JustinPrather
Esri Contributor

Hi @KevinMacLeodCAI –

After you toggled the setting, did you happen to publish your site?

Thank you for the additional information! One other question that will help the product team. Are your users visiting the content in Hub general public, colleagues, stakeholders? If not the general public, do they have GIS experience?

Thanks again! 

0 Kudos
KevinMacLeodCAI

Hm, I believe I had published. And it was still happening. However, it is not happening now. Maybe related to the June update? Anyhow, it now seems to be working perfectly as intended, looks like case closed! Thank you for the reply @JustinPrather 

GIS_System_AdministratorSunshi
New Contributor III

HI There

Just wondering what version you were using? We have just upgraded to 10.8.1 and I am getting the same issue. How ever my dialog box doesnt appear to have the same options as you had. See attached.

I tried switching off App Page but this didnt make any difference.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

GIS_System_AdministratorSunshi_0-1627522713510.png

0 Kudos
AmyWiwi
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue with the information pane opening when the map is launched from the Hub.  This is for the public and that is information that I do not want displayed.  I am also hosting for a client, so my company's name is not appropriate to be shown.  How can this be turned off?  

0 Kudos