How do i delete a very old Hub site

Jump to solution
07-08-2021 09:32 AM
Trippetoe
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there.

We have a couple of old, skunk-works Hub sites that appear in our list of Hub Initiatives. A no-longer enabled account from our AGOL Org owns the sites, and I'd like to delete them. I am an AGOL admin for our org. When i click on the hub site link, i am directed to a 404 error page with the message "So sorry. We looked everywhere and just can't seem to find what you were looking for."

How can i delete these sites. The documentation i've found suggests that the preferred way to delete a hub site is to open the site. Is there a less-preferred but still effective way to delete the sites since i cannot open them?

Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check if this works out for you.

1. In ArcGIS Online, navigate to Content > My Organization. You could further filter the items by Item Type (Apps > Sites)

JayantaPoddar_0-1625766715514.png

2. If you could locate the Hub Site among the listed items, click on the three dots (...) and choose "View Item Details".

JayantaPoddar_1-1625766936330.png

3. In the Item Details Page, click on Settings. Under "Delete Protection", Uncheck "Prevent this item from being accidentally deleted.". Click Save. Then Click "Delete Item".

JayantaPoddar_2-1625767601362.png

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

If you are the org site admin, you just log in with your credentials AGOL then go to the Organization tab then settings tab on the very right hand side.  Then in the settings tab, scroll down to the bottom and click on the Open Data link.  This will show you your current sites enabled.  You should be able to delete them from there, if not, click on one and go to the hub site manager.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
Trippetoe

Thanks for your suggestion. I've given it a go, but the screens i see don't match up with your description. 

When i click the 'Open Data' link, i see a list of our Org's Open Data Groups. I do not see a list of our Open Data (i.e. Hub) sites. Maybe i'm missing something?

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Looks like they changed it in the settings tab.  You used to be able to access all sites under Open Data.  I would follow the suggestion of @JayantaPoddar 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check if this works out for you.

1. In ArcGIS Online, navigate to Content > My Organization. You could further filter the items by Item Type (Apps > Sites)

JayantaPoddar_0-1625766715514.png

2. If you could locate the Hub Site among the listed items, click on the three dots (...) and choose "View Item Details".

JayantaPoddar_1-1625766936330.png

3. In the Item Details Page, click on Settings. Under "Delete Protection", Uncheck "Prevent this item from being accidentally deleted.". Click Save. Then Click "Delete Item".

JayantaPoddar_2-1625767601362.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
Trippetoe

Thank you for your suggestion. I can follow the steps you outlined to get to the 'Delete' button.  I must say, however, that i hesitate to do that when i see the Item Description as this: 

DO NOT DELETE OR MODIFY THIS ITEM. This item is managed by the ArcGIS Hub application. To make changes to this site, please visit https://hub.arcgis.com/admin/

Should i care about this warning? Since i can't access the site via the Hub admin, is this approach the only way to delete the site?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Didn't you ask for a less-preferred, but effective way? 😅

I have assumed that you can't see the site in https://YourOrgName.hub.arcgis.com/admin

You may check the following step, before you decide.

In the Item Details Page of the corresponding Hub Site Application > Overview, scroll down and change the owner of the item to your AGOL ID.

JayantaPoddar_0-1625771951593.png

Check again in your organization's Hub Site (Admin), if the item is reflected, and delete it from there.

Think Location
Trippetoe

I did indeed ask for a less-preferred but effective way!  

I tried to re-assigning ownership to my account but that change had no impact on the sites visibility. So, i took the route outlined by you. I now have two less (orphaned) Hub sites hanging around.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos