Has anybody used the Clone option to clone an Open Data Site?

Jump to solution
12-11-2017 02:25 PM
NinaRihn
Occasional Contributor III

Has anybody used the Clone option in Open Data?  It suddenly appeared as an option when you click Save in the Site Editor, but I can't find any documentation for it, and I am sorry to say I am terrified to use it, not knowing what it will actually do! 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
DorotheeKemnitz1
New Contributor

Hi Carmel,

Sorry to hijack this post. I have recently discovered the clone option as well, which is a much needed tool. I have highly customised our site and its a great tool to quickly test changes before putting them in production.

So I went ahead and cloned my site. It also cloned (or so I thought) the pages. I went into my cloned page to test a new iframe window. Then I get a call from someone in my organisation, asking why the disaster management page is suddenly showing free wifi locations. It turns out while editing the cloned page (not site) it edited my production (original) page as well. I have done tests by creating a new site and pages and then cloning it and doing edits on the clone. I have not linked it to the original page. When I delete the page from the cloned site it tells me that it will still be available on the original site. But there is still some sort of link across the sites for the page edits.

Is this a known bug? Should I log a support ticket?

Thanks!

Dorothee

0 Kudos
Alex-Santos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dorothee, Carmel...

No worries on the hijack. I'm interested in this as well. Also want to note that I've stopped using the clone feature, and linking. I've been working with copy/pasting bootstrap code and other content over to the back up site. It's tedious, but I know it's working.

0 Kudos
DorotheeKemnitz1
New Contributor

Hi Alexandre,

This is how I have done it in the past until I discovered the clone option and then thought what a great idea... Until it failed. Will continue to copy paste for now..

Cheers

0 Kudos
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor
"It turns out while editing the cloned page (not site) it edited my production (original) page as well. I have done tests by creating a new site and pages and then cloning it and doing edits on the clone. I have not linked it to the original page. When I delete the page from the cloned site it tells me that it will still be available on the original site. But there is still some sort of link across the sites for the page edits."

Our organization is also facing this issue when cloning our site- this is affecting a live production site upgrade. 

Has the ArcGIS Hub‌ team/ Brian Rollison‌ seen this issue and are they addressing it?

Thanks,

Amanda

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Today cloning your site definitely links existing pages and does not also clone the pages. It's on our backlog to address this (and offer clone page) soon

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Graham Hudgins‌, 

Thanks so much for the quick reply!
When cloning a site- if the site and all it's pages is not truly "Cloned" or copied for better terms, what is the purpose of cloning? Only for new pages added to a site?

Is there a current workaround for this issue if we want to modify content on a page for a Cloned site?

Thanks, 

Amanda

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remove the page from the clone and add a page from the clone to separate them

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Graham Hudgins‌, 

Thanks again for the reply. 

How would we go about 

"add a page from the clone to separate them"

Currently we only see a way to create new pages, link pages, and totally clone the site. Can you describe the workflow for adding a page from the clone?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

since we dont (yet) have page cloning, i'm suggesting you unlink the page that came over linked to your clone....and create a new page in its place to have separate pages.

0 Kudos