Dates in Open Data entries are wrong! Where do they come from?

1706
7
Jump to solution
04-19-2018 09:37 AM
RandyKreuziger
Regular Contributor

When we make our Open Data site public this week I noticed a problem with the dates associated with each entry.  Most are displaying 4/1/2018 which is off by a couple of weeks.  Another entry, shown in the attached file, is off by almost a year showing a 4/23/2017 date even though the data was registered only last month. Basically, they are all wrong in Open Data but all correct in AGOL

Where does this Open Data date come from?

Here's our work flow:

  1.   Publish a single map service with 8 Big Game Hunting boundary layers.
  2.   Register each of the 8 layers separately in AGOL.
  3.   Load the metadata entry in AGOL using an exported XML file.
  4.   Share to Open Data.

Last night I updated all 8 layers in SDE doing a truncate append and reloaded the metadata in AGOL.  This updated the date in AGOL showing yesterday's date but has had no affect on the date shown in Open Data. 

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PatrickHammons1
Esri Contributor

Thanks for replying on this thread, Mark. Hopefully I can provide some clarification about how dates work in Hub.

There are 3 places Hub looks when writing the "Last Updated" date. If an admin has explicitly set a publication date in the metadata editor in ArcGIS Online, we will use that date. If not, then depending on whichever was updated more recently we will use either a) the last time the item was edited or “touched” in ArcGIS Online or b) the last time an update was made to the service (if editor tracking is enabled).

You can test this on sites with the new search enabled (e.g. https://hub.arcgis.com/search) by hovering over the date field in search. If the tooltip reads “Last updated” then it’s coming from the publication date in the metadata editor. If it reads “Metadata updated” then the date is coming from the last time the item was edited in ArcGIS Online. If it reads “Data updated” then the date is coming directly from the service.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
deleted-user-7SLqM7dlvYNN
New Contributor III

We found the same thing, Open Data appears to use the metadata dates rather than the ArcGIS Online last updated dates https://community.esri.com/thread/222598-inconsistency-between-open-data-and-items-views 

0 Kudos
PatrickHammons1
Esri Contributor

Thanks for replying on this thread, Mark. Hopefully I can provide some clarification about how dates work in Hub.

There are 3 places Hub looks when writing the "Last Updated" date. If an admin has explicitly set a publication date in the metadata editor in ArcGIS Online, we will use that date. If not, then depending on whichever was updated more recently we will use either a) the last time the item was edited or “touched” in ArcGIS Online or b) the last time an update was made to the service (if editor tracking is enabled).

You can test this on sites with the new search enabled (e.g. https://hub.arcgis.com/search) by hovering over the date field in search. If the tooltip reads “Last updated” then it’s coming from the publication date in the metadata editor. If it reads “Metadata updated” then the date is coming from the last time the item was edited in ArcGIS Online. If it reads “Data updated” then the date is coming directly from the service.

mpc
by
Occasional Contributor

Looks like it's coded to check for Publication and Revision date in the metadata. I removed the Publication date from our metadata, so it would get an update date representing the last time the service was updated (via script) but it wasn't updating, instead it was showing the Revision date:

Metadata:

Open Data item:

0 Kudos
TimConfare2
New Contributor III

Thank you for this info!  I really think ESRI needs to add another way to change this date.  We update our parcels weekly and publish to Server.  The service is not changed and neither is the metadata so the date stays the same.  We get numerous calls asking for the latest data in which we have to tell them it is the latest data and the Last Update date is wrong.  The only way for me to sync these dates is to log into AGOL and click the Edit button of the description (or summary or any other metadata) and click Save every Friday.  That's not a very good way of displaying the true date of the data.

Michael_Knapp
New Contributor III

We have the same issue!

 

0 Kudos
Michael_Knapp
New Contributor III

Patrick - is there any way to remove the dates from public view.  In our case we use FME safe software and do a truncate and repopulate to all of our public datasets.  However, the dates show only the created date and there is a warning that is inaccurate that says the files do not contain the most up to date data.  Thank you for your recommendation.

ChrisSchrader
New Contributor III

We have the same issue as well and we would like to remove the dates from public view, too. Please let me know if you figured out how to remove the dates from public view.

0 Kudos