Dataset item pages no longer loading from hyperlinks - 404 error

07-24-2018 04:29 PM
Natural_EnglandOpen_Data_Publi
New Contributor II

Dataset item pages are no longer loading correctly from /datasets/ hyperlinks in a new browser tab. Users receive a 404 error page.  Tested in Google Chrome.

E.g.

https://naturalengland-defra.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/special-protection-areas-england 

See Latest Releases hyperlinks at https://naturalengland-defra.opendata.arcgis.com

Latest updated items

When clicking on any of the above links a new browser tab opens and this happens.

404 error

However when clicking on the links from the all items search page or via the category search widgets the item pages open OK in the same browser tab.

All items search

OK page

Please help.  I have been creating the open new browser tab individual item page links this way for over a year and never had any issues before. Why would these suddenly stop behaving?

Has someone made a change to the ArcGIS Hub site?  I do have a support enquiry with Miguel Paredes at ESRI UK about some layers not downloading - see home page Important Information section. He is in conversation with an ESRI Inc. Analyst about this at the moment in Redlands but I don't have the name.

Andy Lee

Data Services Team

Natural England

17 Replies
Melissa_Allin
New Contributor II

Thanks Patrick.

We're still receiving the 404 errors so wanted to check if the fix was rolled out?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Apologies for the delay, but debugging took longer than expected. We will push the fix later today.

0 Kudos
AndreaConver
New Contributor III

Hi Patrick,

According to our analytics 30 pageviews returned the 404 error in the last month. Is this a new issue or is the original issue still unresolved?

Thanks,

Andrea

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andrea,

We're not seeing an increase in 404s, but to help triage can you check the referring pages for the 404s you're seeing?

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
AndreaConver
New Contributor III

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your quick response. Here's what I see:

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andrea, that's helpful. You can dig in a bit further by checking Acquisition > All traffic > Referrals and filtering for the 404 page, but I'm not seeing anything in your analytics that suggests a bug. A number of folks appear to have links that are not resolving correctly. This could happen if someone bookmarked content no longer available on your site, or if you made changes to a title which would change the url for datasets.

0 Kudos
Natural_EnglandOpen_Data_Publi
New Contributor II

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.  I have tested the hyperlinks and they now display in a new browser tab OK.  Thanks for your help with rolling out this fix so quickly.

Andy

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are encountering a similar issue in our Hub site where when you click on the hyperlink of the layer as shown below (i.e Mileposts), it returns the same 404 error as reported above.

However, the data page opens successfully when you right click on the hyperlink and open in a new browser. This is only occurring with restricted layers. 

0 Kudos