Can't access personal geodatabase..need troubleshooting help

Jump to solution
12-30-2019 06:31 AM
KristalWalsh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, can someone help me identify the source of this problem please? Each month I consolidate data in an .mdb and share it on a network drive.  Our .mdb is way short of the personal geodatabase max limits so this should not be an issue and we have been using this method for years with no problems until the last 2 months. Now we are getting intermittent "failed to connect to database and unrecognized database format" errors.  Our staff are working on various versions of ArcMap desktop from 10.3 to 10.7. The .mdb was in 9.2 and I have upgraded it but there are missing records when I try to export it. The upgrade did not seem to help but I've tried export to shape, .gdb, etc. but always get the same number of records upon export with a significant number missing. There are some old posts about repairing this in Access. Is this still the case? Anyone have any other ideas? I also have read where there might be some MS 32-bit vs Arc 64-bit conflicts but I need to retrieve the data from the .mdb. Thank you!

Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Javier_AntonioEscudero
Esri Contributor

Hi Kristal

Since few years ago, Esri has stopped supporting Personal Geodatabases (mdbs). Instead, Esri recommends using File Geodatabases (gdbs) for simple workflows and local data management.

To share optimally your data across network and depending on the number of users and their workflows (query and / or edition), you should evaluate migrating to a Geodatabase Enterprise that adds more functionality and robustness to your system.

You can find more information here:

Enterprise geodatabases—Manage data | ArcGIS Enterprise 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Javier_AntonioEscudero
Esri Contributor

Did you try to migrate your personal geodatabase to File geodatabase. Xander Bakker proposes a good solution in this blog.

how to convert mdb to gdb 

KristalWalsh

I have not tried that but will now. Thank you!

0 Kudos
KristalWalsh

I can migrate it but there are still about 300 missing records. I've tried two different month's .mdbs and now going back to September to try to reload everything forward.  Are there any best practices for sharing these .mdb over a network? Any known problems with new versions of Arc with .mdbs? We are just at a loss. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Javier_AntonioEscudero
Esri Contributor

Hi Kristal

Since few years ago, Esri has stopped supporting Personal Geodatabases (mdbs). Instead, Esri recommends using File Geodatabases (gdbs) for simple workflows and local data management.

To share optimally your data across network and depending on the number of users and their workflows (query and / or edition), you should evaluate migrating to a Geodatabase Enterprise that adds more functionality and robustness to your system.

You can find more information here:

Enterprise geodatabases—Manage data | ArcGIS Enterprise 

KristalWalsh

Thank you, Javier. I have recently taken over management of this data and have recommended that we use file geodatabases vs personal geodatabases.  So, since these errors have occurred, I will be moving in that direction.  While our administrator is hoping to achieve an opportunity for us to move to an enterprise platform soon, we don't have that capability at present. Your feedback has been very helpful, thank you!

0 Kudos