Best way to digitize hand-drawn range maps?

Jump to solution
11-15-2016 10:26 AM
BrittanyBankovich
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am looking for an efficient way to digitize hand-drawn range maps (I have about 200 of them). They are all drawn on the same basemap--a polygon of my state. I thought I could possibly scan them all, save as tifs, and georeference them using a polygon shapefile of the state. If anyone knows of a quicker, better alternative please let me know. I am open to any and all suggestions!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Unfortunately, I think you have sketched out the correct workflow. There is no auto-magic way of doing this.

You still have to reference a series of locations on the scanned map image, with its real world location (your county boundary corners or whatever).

It would be difficult to automate because the scanning process could not guarantee the exactly same pixel coordinate for a GCP everytime. (You might have put the map through the scanner at a slightly different angle perhaps etc.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Unfortunately, I think you have sketched out the correct workflow. There is no auto-magic way of doing this.

You still have to reference a series of locations on the scanned map image, with its real world location (your county boundary corners or whatever).

It would be difficult to automate because the scanning process could not guarantee the exactly same pixel coordinate for a GCP everytime. (You might have put the map through the scanner at a slightly different angle perhaps etc.)

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It looks like the ArcScan extension still exists too, and might help one you get the items scanned and georeferenced.

What is ArcScan?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

I haven't used it for a long time, so you will have to read up on it.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Do you have ArcScan?  If you do, you can reduce the time to complete the task depending on the complexity of the raster line work

Exercise 1: Interactive vectorization—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos