Allow Hub gallery cards to open external links

07-08-2020 08:14 AM
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

Currently Gallery Cards only allow for connecting to content stored in ArcGIS Online. We would like to link to externally hosted content (e.g. pdfs, word documents in SharePoint) from the Gallery Card. Document links can be stored in ArcGIS Online which can then be added to gallery cards, but this opens an intermediate ArcGIS Online page for the document link rather than the document itself.

6 Comments
MattSund

Hi Data Officer

I had this question too and found your post.

I thought of a solution - you can create an Experience using ArcGIS experience builder. Start with a fullpage blank template and add an embed widget. Make it full screen and specify the URL.

You can add experiences to the gallery on your hub page and clicking them opens the experience and therefore the page within it. Takes about half a second longer to load but my geocortex app works as intended.

Drawback or advantage depending on your stance is that the browser url shows as the experience URL and not the page URL you are intending to show.

DataOfficer

It looks like this issue was resolved in a recent hub update. Note the Embedded Links toggle in Settings-> Interactions which influences whether the document link opens within the hub page or opens the document link outside of the hub page.

MattSund

Thats great! Thanks for posting back here.

I just tried adding an application from an external link and that works too!

Hub settings - interactions - embedded apps is off

The advantage for us - your application in its own window which lets you collect Google Analytics stats 

WQIDES
by

I still haven't found a solution to link to external websites (e.g. PowerBI dashboard) with a gallery card. It just doesn't give me that option. I have a bunch of gallery cards that link to ESRI products (apps) but I also want to link to a PowerBI dashboard using the same sort of card (just looks nice to have them all looking the same).

I will try the Experience Builder suggestion by @MattSund as it looks it might work. Thanks for that suggestion. And possibly a PowerBI dash can also be embedded in other AGOL apps. 

Another solution could be to add a card in a text box - as that can link to external websites by editing the HTML code. I got this to work, however, is there any way to make the card in the text box look similar to the gallery cards? Is there HTML code for this? Because right now the style of the card is different, also I couldn't figure out how to center the card in the text box. I can center the text, but not the entire card. 

MattSund

Hi @WQIDES , I actually found a better solution after the previous upgrade to ArcGIS online!

From the my content tab in AGOL where you add an application (like normal), notice now it says you can add a link to an application on the web?

I used this and entered our geocortex app url. It creates an item in AGOL which you can then add the item to the gallery card. Its a direct link, no more embedding in an experience.

Check out the "planning controls viewer" in the top gallery on our site data.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au

NB - your other option of self editing of html for cards does work, but its a little complicated with the css styling and responsive design using twitter bootstrap. I've since abandoned it in favour of out of the box.

WQIDES
by

@MattSund thank you! That worked 🙂