Select to view content in your preferred language

How to automatically calculate the head drop along the river network?

04-12-2014 05:47 AM
IsworBajracharya
Emerging Contributor
Dear sir ,

I am calculating the hydropower potential of a large river basin. I have already have the discharge data and also I have river network. I am trying to calculate the cascade of hydropower potential along the river network. I want to start at any downstream point of a river (for hydropower station)  and move upstream along the river in such a way that the head drop between the initially point and final point would be greater than or equal to 10 m. When the head drop is more than or equal 10 m, I would like to move 1000 m upstream   for next hydropower station and assuming this as the start point I want to move upstream such that the head drop would be greater than or equal to 10 m. Likewise I would like to repeat along the whole river network till the end of river.

I could not work out it how can I do it automatically and manually as well. As my river basin is very large (53000 square kilometer) , I want to do it automatically in ArcGIS?

I would like to have your valuable suggestion and hint so that I can proceed my research work.

I would like to thank you all in advance.

Sincerely
Iswor Bajracharya
0 Kudos
0 Replies