Null line symbol in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.2

07-09-2015 05:02 AM
JohnFannon
Occasional Contributor III

Hi

I've created an mxd with some layers that use null symbols, for example a simple line symbol where the outline is set to null color, line width set to 0 and line style set to null. I've published this as a mobile service in AGS v10.2.1, but when viewing the mobile service in MPC v10.2.1 (3776), the lines are coming through with a default grey line symbol (i.e. are not null).

This is messing up a whole bunch of symbology, because fills with outlines set as null (as above) are also coming through and labelled lines that represent road and town names are displaying with the line drawn underneath.

I've previously set null line symbols in this way successfully in older versions of ArcGIS for Windows Mobile and have checked the mxds I used previously to do this, which use exactly the same as above (i.e. simple line symbol with null color etc).

Surely this is a bug in the latest version as it MUST be possible to have a null line symbol?

Anyone else experienced this behaviour in the latest version?

Cheers

John

Added screenshots of AGM with line symbol using default grey line and ArcMap showing no line symbol as expected.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi John,

Try to remove value(s) in Symbology in Layer properties, instead of defining No Color and zero width to the feature value.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JohnFannon

I've tried doing this for one of the layers - but you have to first symbolise on unique values, then makes sure there are no symbols defined. This seems to work in ArcMap, but after publishing and attempting to import the mobile service into MPC I'm now getting "Error: Invalid file or corrupted file".AGM-Null-symbol-issue-3.png

In any case, this solution would not work for layers where I have polygon symbols with no outline (i.e. a null line symbol for the outline).

It seems to me like ArcGIS Mobile (or possibly the ArcGIS Server Mobile Service) is not picking up the Null and is instead substituting a default symbol. Surely I should be able to define a polygon fill that has no outline!

0 Kudos
JohnFannon

Just to follow up on this. I raised a support call with Esri UK and they have identified that this is a known bug and documented here:

NIM090755 - Lines symbolized with the No Color option in ArcMap still show up in the Mobile Project Center (MPC).

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDkwNzU1

Unfortunately it was raised in April 2013, so it's not looking good for a fix any time soon!

0 Kudos