SharePoint 2007 and ArcGIS , what are the best options?

09-27-2011 07:32 AM
AndrewSmith9
New Contributor
Hello All,

Sorry for the newbee question.

We are investigating various options to integrate Geo Spatial data in SharePoint 2007(MOSS 2007). Users should be able to geo-tag documents, list items and should be able to search the documents and list item by location, we have ArcGIS-ESRI based map server.

What is the best way to integrate, I was looking in Arc GIS resource centre I can see api???s for Silverlight, Javascript and Flex, which one should we choose and why?

We are happy to do custom development in SharePoint and c#, we need a direction.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Regards,
Andrew
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewSmith9
New Contributor
Bump..#

Sorry I did not receive any reply, I am trying my luck again.

Mean while we found ArcObjects (.Net) as well, looks interesting.

Can we make use of it?

Regards,

Andrew
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Andrew,

... What is the best way to integrate, I was looking in ArcGIS resource centre I can see api�??s for Silverlight, Javascript and Flex, which one should we choose and why? ... We are happy to do custom development in SharePoint and c#, we need a direction.

Please review this Esri 2011 pre-UC Q&A topic: Which API should I use: JavaScript, Flex, or Silverlight?

If you plan on doing some custom development for ArcGIS for SharePoint, then you will need to use the ArcGIS API for Silverlight.

... Meanwhile we found ArcObjects (.Net) as well, looks interesting. Can we make use of it? ...

I would discourage using the ArcObjects SDK .NET framework for your development work, as it will be deprecated soon with the forthcoming ArcGIS 10.1 release. For more info,

Esri KB #38202 - FAQ: What are the deprecation plans for ArcGIS 10 and the upcoming release of ArcGI...
(look under the ArcGIS Server 10.1 section)

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos