Feedback for Esri Maps for MicroStrategy v2.0.1

09-02-2015 07:58 AM
ChristophKiefer
New Contributor

Dear All

We had a closer look at Esri Maps for MicroStrategy v2.0 these days.

The new Location Architect feature is usefule but obviously it only works for standalone report grids in MicroStrategy Web. The same grids used in Report Services Documents cannot make use of the Location Architect model. This is a huge drawback as such documents are a widely used method to create interactive dashboards. This means that if we want to use Esri Maps for MicroStrategy v2.0 in MicroStrategy documents each user has to go through the same cumbersome and anoying process of adding and configuring location types and metric styles as in version 1.0 of the plug-in.

Second, as mentioned in this post Location Architect in EM4MSTR v2.0.1 the only way to transport a Location Architect model between projects currently is to copy-paste a piece of JSON code (which first has to be made visible). My MicroStrategy Service Owners laught at me when I showed them this solution. MicroStrategy has the idea of transport packages, created and used by Object Manager, to bring objects from one environment/project to another project. This is the standard, managed way of releasing objects between projects. It can be done without much explanation and can be automated / tracked / governed.

My last point is regarding the new version 10 of MicroStrategy. As this will be the future reporting platform, I am wondering if there are any release plans for EM4MSTR to support MSTR 10?

Best regards

Christoph

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChakaClarke
Esri Contributor

Thanks for the review, Christoph.

I just wanted make a few points that may be helpful based on your review. Location Architect is only fully functional in reports (i.e. dynamically responsive based on the report dataset). Once this report is created with the visualization enabled, an autogenerated map is created based on the Location Architect configurations. Saving this report and exporting it into a new document allows the autogenerated map to be visible in the document, and can be used to create an interactive dashboard without having to reconfigure or style the map. In documents, the autogenerated maps are no longer dynamic based on the contents of the dataset.

The Location architect model is stored in the extended properties of the project. These properties are not easily exportable in MicroStrategy's Object Manager, therefore the example shown in the video is the simplest example. We have future plans to include an improved export mechanism for Location Architect models.

With the recent release of MicroStrategy 10, we do have plans to improve support in other operating modes in Microstrategy Web. Our next release will be a localized release that will have some of these improvements specifically targeting performance in Express/Presentation Mode.

0 Kudos
ChristophKiefer
New Contributor

Thank you for reply, Chaka

What do you mean by "Our next release will be a localized release that ... "? What means localized in this context? Do you already have an ETA when the next release supporting MSTR 10 will be available?

Chaka, we found a much more serious issue in the meantime. We have a few Transaction Services reports in our project (i.e., reports with data write-back functionality). These reports run in Express Mode. For some reason, whatsoever, they don't work anymore when the Esri plug-in is installed. We were not able to find the reasons for that but we are pretty sure it's because of the plug-in. As soon as we un-deployed it from web the TX reports worked again as expected. Unfortunately this means that we are not able to use / test the plug-in until those bugs are investigated and solve.

Regards

Christoph

0 Kudos
ChakaClarke
Esri Contributor

Hi Christoph,

If you are having this issue please contact support, this sounds like an issue that was reported for Esri Maps for MicroStrategy v2.0 and fixed in a patch as well as in the latest release v2.0.1. Please contact support they will be able to help you with this issue.

Our last release of Esri Maps for MicroStrategy v2.0.1 does support MicroStrategy 10, but we are currently working on improving the support in MicroStrategy 10, there are some bugs that we are working on resolving, that will be available in the next release which we hope will be available soon, I do not have an official ETA for this release I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Chaka

0 Kudos
ChristophKiefer
New Contributor

Hi Chaka

Thanks for the reply. You are right, the issues with TX services do not appear anymore with 2.0.1. Also as you said, the newest version works in 10.1. Yes, please keep me posted as we would be more than happy if we could use the plug-in in Visual Insight.

Kind regards

Christoph

0 Kudos
ChristophKiefer
New Contributor

Hi Chaka

Just wanted to check if there are any recent development for this plug-in?

Kind regards

Christoph

0 Kudos