Shapes and colors sequencing

Jump to solution
03-29-2021 10:01 AM
MarkBall
New Contributor II

Good day,

I wanted to find out if upgrading to a license will give me the abilities of what my boss is asking for. I have a map built in Power BI and it displays our branch locations in comparison to some of our competitors and key customers using their Lat/Long. I am looking to make the different categories above different icon shapes, as well would like to lock in the colors. Currently, when i make an update the colors randomize and often duplicate colors. Also, they asked about possibly incorporating logo's to data points.

Is this possible with a standard license? If a specific license is required, is it just the report Author or all data consumers require the license as well?

Is building base layers for branches vs competitors vs key customers they way to achieve our goal? Can i have multiple layers on the same map?

Thank you in advance

Mark

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

For non public layers, you will need to have users sign into the ArcGIS for PowerBI visual with their ArcGIS Organization account.

As for your symbology question: You are only able to select one symbol when working with PowerBI data. It may be best to use a reference layer to denote competitors and other entities. 

As for color consistency, I found that my colors persist when refreshing the report (I am using the latest release of PowerBI)

Keep on keeping on!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey there Mark!

Thank you for reaching out, I'll do my best to address your question piece by piece:

@MarkBall wrote:

I am looking to make the different categories above different icon shapes, as well would like to lock in the colors. Currently, when i make an update the colors randomize and often duplicate colors. Also, they asked about possibly incorporating logo's to data points.

How are you symbolizing these features? Are you symbolizing them by quantity or by category? Also could you specify how you are updating the data set? In previous versions of the app, I do recall that we had some issues with custom symbology persistence but that should have been resolved. Please check your version of PowerBI desktop when you have a moment.

@MarkBall wrote:

Is this possible with a standard license? If a specific license is required, is it just the report Author or all data consumers require the license as well?

Licensing should have no influence on how data is symbolized, but it will come into play if you use non-public reference layers. If your goal is to show relationships between two layers of data, you might be able to accomplish this with the newly implemented join workflow found here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/power-bi/design/join-layers.htm

Finally, it is still impossible to add more than one data layer to the ArcGIS for PowerBI visual, however the workflow above may be able to mitigate this.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
MarkBall
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply Jon.

I am symbolizing by Company Name (currently 22 company names) in the Color field. In the Location field, i use the City Name. Lat/Long and Tooltips are the only other fields I use. I'd be looking for better control of using multiple symbols (ex. our location is a circle, competitor is a triangle, key customer is a square) and color locking to avoid duplication and color changes when i upload updates. Is the current version of ArcGIS capable of this in Power BI? I use the Power BI Desktop App, which updates automatically as Microsoft pushes updates out.

My company would definitely not want the layers to be public. I will read up on the Workflow / Join feature. Thank you for sharing that.

Mark

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

For non public layers, you will need to have users sign into the ArcGIS for PowerBI visual with their ArcGIS Organization account.

As for your symbology question: You are only able to select one symbol when working with PowerBI data. It may be best to use a reference layer to denote competitors and other entities. 

As for color consistency, I found that my colors persist when refreshing the report (I am using the latest release of PowerBI)

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos