Cannot Set Locations or Radius in online app

10-29-2020 12:20 PM
debbiefuqua
New Contributor

Hi. I'm able to set different locations and radii using my desktop application of PowerBi on the ArcGIS map. I can set it for say 50 miles around dallas and it will filter out the profiles of employees who live in that 50 mile radius. I can create different locations and radii just fine.  However, when I'm using the Power BI App through our online server, myself, or anyone else who has access to the PowerBi, cannot set locations or create new radii. Can someone help me with that? 

3 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Debbie,

thank you for reaching out. ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI recently went through a GUI change that affected this workflow. Could you provide me with the version information of PowerBI Desktop you are using?

At this new release, you are now able to conduct analysis with a single pin. This is a significant change from the previous version of the software, more info on this can be found here: Pin a location—ArcGIS Maps for Power BI | Documentation

In short, to set new locations you must enter an address, keyword, or location to identify the pin. this was done to increase geographic consistency with your searches. Once this is done, you should be able to select the pinned location: Select locations on the map—ArcGIS Maps for Power BI | Documentation 

Lastly for the radial analysis, you will need to use the Find Nearby function: Find nearby locations—ArcGIS Maps for Power BI | Documentation 

I recognize that this is a drastic change to the way the visual previously looked. Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will be happy to assist any way I can.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
debbiefuqua
New Contributor

Hi!

The desktop version I am using is Version: 2.86.727.0 64-bit (October 2020) - it works perfectly fine. I can create a pin and radius just fine using the desktop version. I've published this to a Sharepoint site for other users to utilize though - and that is where my problem is. That version doesn't have the same functionality as the desktop version. Is it Sharepoint? is the the App version? Im just not sure where to start in order to fix this issue.

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Ahh I see, thank you for clarifying.

The publication to SharePoint workflow is a grey area in terms of ArcGIS Maps for SharePoint. While some of the functions can work, publishing to SharePoint tehcnically falls under "Publish to Web" which is not supported (per this document).

There is an enhancement of this issue: ENH-000130489 : Add Publish to Web support to ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI visualizer in PowerBI Online which has a status of assgned. Please log a case with Esri Technical Support to be added to this enhancment.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos