Can Power BI connect to a hosted Portal?

12-19-2017 03:16 AM
EarlJerome
New Contributor II

We run a ArcGis portal/server 10.4.1 and we have a need to use the Power BI is there a way to point to our portal especially since we are in a disconnected environment. 

7 Replies
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

At this time, no, signing in with ArcGIS named user accounts is not supported. It's something we'll be working on in 2018.

0 Kudos
MichaelWallace3
New Contributor III

Any Update on whether the functionality of connecting to a Portal will be supported in ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI. I have been playing with PowerBI and ArcGIS Maps and the interface is phenomenal with its flexibility, but most of my data will be hosted in portal. 

0 Kudos
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Michael - 

We're still looking into the technical feasibility of supporting ArcGIS Enterprise (including Portal for ArcGIS). As a consequence of 'living' inside Power BI, there are some authentication types that can't be supported by the app. We're currently trying to evaluate what's possible vs what's useful to users. Could you help us with that by providing your company / organization name and security protocol your company uses to authenticate to ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal)? If you prefer not to share that publicly feel free to email me at sball  at  esri dot com. Thanks! 

BlytheSpendlove2
New Contributor III

Scott Ball‌ I have a similar question. We have an enterprise database (oracle) that I want to connect to directly from PowerBI. I know ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI only works with ArcGIS Online, but I want to know if I can bypass all of that (since we have an ArcGIS Enterprise account) and connect to the underlying oracle database with PowerBI and just retrieve some tabular statistics from the geodatabase that I can make some graphs with etc. Do you know if that is possible?

Thanks,

Blythe

AlexWhitesell
New Contributor II

Is there any update on this discussion? 

JoshHevenor1
New Contributor III

I could connect PowerBI Desktop to an instance of 10.7.1 Enterprise hosted on Azure. I'm just starting to look into PowerBI so don't know much more. All our previous instances are 10.6.1 and I haven't been able to connect to them.  I've been looking around today for minimum version documentation and have come up short. 

0 Kudos
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Maps for Power BI now supports connecting to ArcGIS Enterprise.

ArcGIS Maps for Microsoft Power BI – March 2020.1 Release