Select to view content in your preferred language

No option to choose an ArcGIS Online connection

Jump to solution
11-15-2022 02:26 PM
AmyRoust
Regular Contributor

Several people in my organization installed the ArcGIS for Excel add-on today. Two of us had no issues; the other two see a blank screen instead of the Choose an ArcGIS connection screen. In other words, they should see this:

AmyRoust_0-1668550954047.png

But instead, they only see this:

AmyRoust_1-1668550975087.png

Troubleshooting so far:

• I don't think it's a firewall thing since we're all on the same network and two of us were able to connect.
  • Everyone has the Microsoft Access driver that is required for using Excel in ArcGIS Pro.
  • The only other difference that we can think of is that the two who are successful have local admin rights on their machine and the other two don't. It seems odd that admin rights would block a simple sign-in screen, though.

Anyone have any ideas on what else we can try?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmyRoust
Regular Contributor

Issue resolved! Our in-house IT support did two things: 1. upgraded the users' version of Microsoft Office products, and 2. changed the default web browser from Internet Explorer to Chrome. I suspect that the latter step is what resolved the issue because we're not allowed to use IE anymore. My guess is that there was an IT setting that blocks IE, which is what the Excel add-in was trying to use to connect to ArcGIS Online.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gaurav-Singh
Esri Contributor

Hi, 

I assume you are using Windows OS, Office 365, and Excel desktop. 

In the Excel desktop - click anywhere in the ArcGIS for the Excel panel, then the chevron Icon displays on the upper right side. In the menu, select "Attach Debugger". Then Dev tools window will open. Goto Console tab, copy all the messages, and paste those messages into this post.

GauravSingh_2-1668630012917.png

GauravSingh_3-1668630087102.png

Try this step/potential workaround to reload the ArcGIS Connection UI correctly on those machines where you see a blank screen. First, close all the Excel workbooks on your machine. Re-open an Excel workbook and follow this step - 

In Excel Desktop, click anywhere in the ArcGIS for the Excel panel, then the chevron Icon displays on the upper right side. In the menu, select "Reload".

GauravSingh_4-1668630794435.png

Reload operation might bring the ArcGIS Connection UI in the A4Excel task pane. 

GauravSingh_5-1668630911880.png

Or you might see this below UI.  Either way Reload operation might solve the blank screen issue with A4Excel (ArcGIS for Excel). 

GauravSingh_6-1668630986502.png

ArcGIS for Excel Team
AmyRoust
Regular Contributor

Thank you! We will give this a try when the users who are still having the issue return from a conference. I hope I can mark Accept as Solution!

0 Kudos
AmyRoust
Regular Contributor

Well, I'm sorry to say that the debugger and refresh didn't fix the issue. Clicking on debugger did not open the dev tools window, and a refresh had no impact either. I just put in a help desk ticket, so we'll see what comes of it. Appreciate the suggestion!

AmyRoust
Regular Contributor

Issue resolved! Our in-house IT support did two things: 1. upgraded the users' version of Microsoft Office products, and 2. changed the default web browser from Internet Explorer to Chrome. I suspect that the latter step is what resolved the issue because we're not allowed to use IE anymore. My guess is that there was an IT setting that blocks IE, which is what the Excel add-in was trying to use to connect to ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos