Exporting to CAD and issues in Z coordinate

06-26-2022 02:33 AM
AliM
by
New Contributor

Hello Everybody;

I'm quite new to GIS so I may please you bear with me.

I have managed to get bathymetric contour lines from DEM. The contour lines have z values and they are coordinated (I will add screenshots). However once I export my contour lines to Civil3D it looks exactly the same like in arcgis from top view but once i change the perspective , the contours line up on z axis.
I have applied Feature to 3d by attribute but I still couldnt find what the problem is and I have been dealing with this problem for a while.

I'm ready to bring up any other screenshot with respect to wish.

Sincerely
Ali

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanWade
Esri Contributor

Hello Ali,

Thank you for using ArcGIS for AutoCAD! This should be a really simple fix to get those elevations on each contour line within Civil 3D. To display the contour lines within Civil 3D, or most any Autodesk product we need to fill in the Elevation values for each contour. Although this value does not come across when converted from ArcGIS for 2D polylines we should have a column labeled "Contours" or "Elevation" and in this column will be the contours height values for these 2D polylines from ArcGIS.

1) We can simply run an ArcGIS for AutoCAD command, "Esri_ElevateToField", to Programmatically set those elevation values we need in the Autodesk product of choice. Then when you manipulate the drawing to a 3D view the contours will be on their correct elevation.

If by chance after running this command you still have issues please provide screen captures of the Attribute Table from ArcGIS Pro and also ArcGIS for AutoCAD.

This should get you up and running, but if not please let us know.

AliM
by
New Contributor

The words I can write you here will not be enough to explain how much I'm thankful to you. Thank you so very much. I really appreciate it a lot.

It worked and finally I got a 3d shaped contours as I desired.

May I ask, is it possible to make these 3d contour lines a solid body part so that I can finally start my CFD analysis on it?

0 Kudos
francogalli
New Contributor

Hello, nice to meet you, sorry for the inconvenience... I'm just getting into this topic and I have exactly the same problem and I wanted to see if there is a possibility of finding the solution directly in the Arcgis program without using autocad, or if I can use normal autocad and not the engineering one. If you could help me that would be perfect, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
DanWade
Esri Contributor

Hello @francogalli,

I am really unsure how to respond since as far as I know I provided the previous user the answer they needed which should be the same answer you require given you claim to have the same issue.

I do not know what your data entails from an ArcGIS Pro perspective, but in general it should be the same since ArcGIS Pro can read the drawing file natively. If you used other CAD tools from the ArcGIS Pro side then the attribute tables will match the drawing from export.

ArcGIS for AutoCAD will work in all Autodesk AutoCAD verticals (AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D, Map 3D, etc.).

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos