Can symbols be created from subtypes and domains?

07-26-2023 02:09 PM
BrittanyHendrix
New Contributor

I'm in local government as an analyst for a public electric utility. I'm new to the ArcGIS for AutoCAD extension (and CAD in general). I believe I pretty much have the workflow for our city's distribution designers figured out, but I wanted to know if it was possible to symbolize Web Feature Layers based on subtypes and domains. For example, our transformers in GIS are symbolized based on a field with a subtype of Overhead or Underground and another field with domains for number of phases. 

BrittanyHendrix_1-1690405664960.png

When the data is pulled into ACAD using the extension it only shows the subtype field as 'separate' layers.

BrittanyHendrix_2-1690405680209.png

I checked the REST endpoint and it shows up properly on that end which made me think this may not be possible. If it isn't, is there a possible work around? Our designers symbolize based off of those parameters. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanWade
Esri Contributor

Hello Brittany,

First, thank you for using ArcGIS for AutoCAD (AFA) for your organizations workflows.

AFA creates separate AutoCAD layers for each subtype. You can then use AutoCAD tools to symbolize those layers (setting layer, colors, etc). If you want to symbolize by a domain there is no easy way to do that but a tool like Select by Attributes will let you select everything that is of a certain subtype and domain. You can then use that selection to symbolize the data as you would like.

Given you are new to CAD I will state that in order to "draw" or represent those GIS symbols AutoCAD blocks will need to be created which can then be applied to these WFL. Naming the blocks the same as the AFA layer names will aid in the automation of placing these blocks. Although some additional work will be required given there is a domain for the primaryType.

The following help document should also help with this workflow and understanding:

Feature layer symbols
Feature layer symbols > Point feature symbols

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos